MIDIbox Sid w/ 1 chip only, what to get?

sineSurfer

Hi everyone, after some time I decided to go for the MIDIbox Sid, but as a good newbie I need some help here.

I'd like to start with 1 Sid chip plus all the controls and MIDI IN/OUT, something like this one:

http://www.midibox.org/midibox_gallery/tino3.jpg

If anyone can help me to figure out what kits and extra stuff I need to get from SmashTV to get going.

btw. i'll be reusing the case and power supply for a commodore coming my way.

Thanks in advance for all the help you can give me! ;D

Thanks Sasha, this list would do?

Modules:

1 core

1 sid

1 ltc(the core gives MIDI activity on LEDs or just this module?)

3 DINX4

2 DOUTX4

1 2x20 LCD

1 bankstick

Extras:

PSU

38 switches

99 LEDs

1 detented encoder

14 rotary encoders

DINs, jacks, etc.

Another question, it's possible to use faders instead of encoders for all the envelope controls(SH9 style)? what modules would I need to change/add to make it work this way?

Thanks again.

Ok, I'm on the right track ;D, and I better forget about those those faders, thanks!.

Now, can I build all but the LED matrix and everything will work just fine? I'm thinking about letting that for later... are those parameters editable via the menus?

I'm sure all this has been answered before, so thanks a lot for doing it here too, i'll keep reading thru all posts and documents available to learn more.

Ok, I'm on the right track ;D, and I better forget about those those faders, thanks!.

Definiately forget about faders for parameter controls like that, but they can be cool as configurable analog inputs which you can map to anything... i.e. pitch bend, LFO rate/depth etc.

Now, can I build all but the LED matrix and everything will work just fine? I'm thinking about letting that for later... are those parameters editable via the menus?

Yes, the modulation matrix is editable via the menu.

Definiately forget about faders for parameter controls like that, but they can be cool as configurable analog inputs which you can map to anything... i.e. pitch bend, LFO rate/depth etc.

Ooooh, this sounds interesting, I haven't been able to find anything about it though, can you put me in the right direction... It's be interesting to rig up something like a theremin to this.... Is this possible?

G

Analog Control Inputs

MIDIbox SID V2 provides 8 analog inputs (5 currently used, 3 reserved for future features). They can be used to connect additional pots/faders or joysticks for direct sound control, but they could also be driven from analog signal generators. More info can be found in the Frontpanel chapter.

cool, so not all is lost!... need to print that manual now. thanks Wilba, btw. your sid rocks!!!

About the LCD display, it seems that I can get this model locally:LCD display candidate

can I use it right out of the box?(I saw the LCD module part on the site, but I'm not that good on the technical side :-\)

some more of those displays and their datasheets LCD displays

thanks!

Update: I did my homework!, it is compatible as it uses KS0066 controller, acording to:hd44780_compatible