Front Panel's and all that stuff!

Guest Dazzystar

Guest Dazzystar

Guys,

We are know about front panel designer software but who really has used it? In order for a pro panel you need to know the EXACT dimension of everything, both for cosmetic reasons and more importantly for fixing reasons.

If I'm going to the time, pain and expense of building an MB74 surface for Cubase SX and Albino I want a controller that looks like I've bought it (heck why not!).

I guess what I'm asking is for tips, help, advice. Yes, I have fron panel designer software (very good as it even costs the panel for you) but it's a very tough learning curve!!

Cheers

Darren

Guest Dazzystar

Guys,

We are know about front panel designer software but who really has used it? In order for a pro panel you need to know the EXACT dimension of everything, both for cosmetic reasons and more importantly for fixing reasons.

If I'm going to the time, pain and expense of building an MB74 surface for Cubase SX and Albino I want a controller that looks like I've bought it (heck why not!).

I guess what I'm asking is for tips, help, advice. Yes, I have fron panel designer software (very good as it even costs the panel for you) but it's a very tough learning curve!!

Cheers

Darren

The way I see it, there are two options:

• You create your own frontpanel. You can do it with wood, plexiglass (lexan like), plastic, carton or of course aluminium.  :)
  • You let someone do it who is better at it. Like Schaeffer Apparatebau (http://www.schaeffer-apparatebau.de) ;)

In my opinion, option two is always better, as it is always more professionally done. However, option two is also more expensive and it may turn out not the way you planned it.

Therefore, for my project (http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1052265794) I have decided to make my own frontpanel. It will look less professional than a laser-cut aluminium frontpanel from Schaeffer, but it will be fully under my control.

I have used Photoshop to create my frontpanel. The panel will be wood (MDF) because I am good, working with wood (and not good at working with aluminium). I will lay the print out of my design on top of the plate of wood and prime the places for the holes in. Then, I will use a speeddrill for the pot holes and a fine-saw for the square knob holes and LCD.. Of course some paint and laquer will be required as well.

It's your box and the fun thing about this project is: You create it the way you want it. And that's better than something from the shop (in my opinion).

The way I see it, there are two options:

• You create your own frontpanel. You can do it with wood, plexiglass (lexan like), plastic, carton or of course aluminium.  :)
  • You let someone do it who is better at it. Like Schaeffer Apparatebau (http://www.schaeffer-apparatebau.de) ;)

In my opinion, option two is always better, as it is always more professionally done. However, option two is also more expensive and it may turn out not the way you planned it.

Therefore, for my project (http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1052265794) I have decided to make my own frontpanel. It will look less professional than a laser-cut aluminium frontpanel from Schaeffer, but it will be fully under my control.

I have used Photoshop to create my frontpanel. The panel will be wood (MDF) because I am good, working with wood (and not good at working with aluminium). I will lay the print out of my design on top of the plate of wood and prime the places for the holes in. Then, I will use a speeddrill for the pot holes and a fine-saw for the square knob holes and LCD.. Of course some paint and laquer will be required as well.

It's your box and the fun thing about this project is: You create it the way you want it. And that's better than something from the shop (in my opinion).