Controller/Synth possible?

squeal

So I am mulling the idea of incorporating the midiboxFM synth into my guitar-like midi controller. Is this even possible using a single core module? I need to use an AIN module to run the controller, which will have pots and CV ins. I can do without the swanky control surface and 2X40 LCD of the FM, and just edit the sounds from the pc, but I would like to be able to navigate through saved patches away from the pc.

It seems to me like it's doable, but I will have to either alter the midiboxFM code to incorporate the AIN, or somehow add the midiboxFM stuff to midibox64.

Am I totally crazy? Is this too much for the core to handle?

Am I totally crazy? Is this too much for the core to handle?

No and most likely yes.

Well, it's certainly a lot easier for you to just add another Core and use a dedicated application to manage your analog inputs and convert them to CC events. It is possible to modify the MBFM application to remove the control surface code and put in your own simple analog input code, but the only advantage would be to save on one Core module, and the disadvantages are plenty, like spending far too much time hacking a single Core solution and running into limits of CPU cycles and memory. Essentially if you have to ask this question, your ASM coding skills are obviously not adequate enough to know if it's too much for one Core to handle (and my ASM coding skills aren't adequate enough to give you a definite yes or no answer either).

Adding another Core would also allow you to plug it into another MIDI controlled synth or the PC, so it's more flexible a solution.

Check out ACSensorizer as a possible complete solution (if you only have 8 analog inputs, but weird and wonderful sensor types)

Hey guys, one more question:

Does anyone know what the resolution of the midiboxFM's pitch bend parameter is? I searched the documentation on ucapps, but couldn't find this info.

I was thinking of using a Yamaha tx81z as a kind of "target" synth in designing my guitar controller, but it uses only 7 bit pitch bend (as opposed to 14 bit). I will be using pitch bend with very wide ranges in my guitar controller, so I need any synth I connect to to have the highest possible resolution.

Thanks.  :)