Reaper2

Jidis

For anyone interested-

Reaper2 has been in sort of a public beta for a few weeks and is looking pretty cool. They're building MIDI features right now so I figured someone here might want to participate. They are very open to suggestions. Still cheap $39.95/non-commercial and free/unexpiring for trial use.

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12381

Sorry to sound like a salesman, but the support over there is quite admirable.

George

PS- If someone here tries it, tell me how to get the $&*!%'n parameters mapped to MIDI (both ways). - maybe that's something they need to expand on 8)

Yeh I've been quietly watching Reaper for a while...On a similar note is Temper. It's more MIDI than audio focussed (a rare gem these days).

If you're on Windows and you used to use Logic's Environment to it's fullest, you'll have been missing a few features, and you might like this...

The beta is a full featured freebie, and when it goes 1.0 they'll start charging 50 bucks for it. I don't know if it's much good (you know how I am with software) but it sure is looking nice!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Stryd for the tip on Temper. Hadn't heard of it before then. I'm probably going to stick with trying to make sense of Reaper for the time being, but will be watching it. I'm having enough trouble being a Nuendohead for so long.

If anyone wants to take a crack at this Reaper bug to assure me that I haven't lost my mind, I'd appreciate it:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14327

As easy as it was to hit, all I can figure is that somehow there's nobody in there trying to use any outboard gear (if that's where the timing bug lies). Figure there's plenty of it in here.  8)

Take Care,

George

PS-They've put out a hardcopy of the Reaper manual. There's a link over in the forum somewhere.

FYI the wavetable port is treated the same way as external midi.

I figured something like that. VSTi's are definitely OK. I actually tried a session yesterday with a VSTi track and a duplicate track sending to an outboard module and the module timing sounded like s**t, but the virtual instrument was fine.

What I don't get is how nobody in that whole forum seems to notice or care that it's that messed up. Feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone or something. Another MIDI timing related bug post showed up a week later involving plug-in delay compensation and was immediately acknowledged there. This thing would seem to make using outboard MIDI totally impossible. Guess I'll just keep quiet and wait.

BTW- Reaper's sequencer now has swing, input quantize and some other junk added in. It's interesting to watch its progress over there (even if the hardware out is mangled ;D)

Thanks!

George

Stryd,

Have you tried it by chance? There's a reply in there now by someone using the same machine I was feeding on one computer (an SR-16), and they seem to imply that something is wrong on my end.  ???

It's no big deal I guess, but geez that sounds like crap. There are a couple mp3's in an attachment over in that post, and they're actually some of the "better sounding" results. ;D

George

Well Justin (one of the two programmers) finally commented on it yesterday, but just said to check my soundcard's latency settings as it was directly tied to MIDI output precision, and that I should try to get the buffer down in the 3-6ms range (ouch). I bottomed out the buffer and it did seem to get "better", but if I'm not playing softsynths in realtime or anything I try to keep it up a couple notches.

Still not sure what the deal is or if he plans to fix it, but Nuendo is fine on the same machines.

George