PING))) ultrasonic "D-Beam" like sensor

DrBunsen

PING)))

$29.95 in the US.  From Parallax (makers of the Basic STAMP and Propeller mCUs) Sensors page.

just one I/O pin.

/ measures distance using sonar / Output / is a variable-width pulse that corresponds to the distance to the target.

/ a single (shared) I/O pin is use to trigger the Ping sensor and "listen" for the echo return pulse. /

(edited) List of technical specifications:

• Range - 2cm to 3m (~.75" to 10')
  • Supply Voltage: 5V +/-10%
  • Supply Current: 25 mA typ; 30 mA max
  • Narrow acceptance angle
  • Input Trigger - positive TTL pulse, 2 uS min, 5 uS typ.
  • Echo Pulse - positive TTL pulse, 115 uS to 18.5 mS
  • Size - 22 mm H x 46 mm W x 16 mm D (0.85 in x 1.8 in x 0.6 in)

Might be an alternative option to the Sharp IR sensors, with less chance of false triggering (maybe)

Hello Doctor,

interesting topic, this one :)

I experimented once with ultrasonic sensors and found them relatively complicated:

- they have to be fixed very caryfully and embedded somewhere where no possible vibrations may occur, else there are wrong readings

- dunno if the TTL-communication is really "a snap" ??? - to create pulses to trigger the signal and read back those pulses seems quite complicated to me (in terms of digitizing this signal ... but I have no experience in that).  IIRC I have seen an ultrasonic I2C device somewhere lately - can't remember where - this would be a bit nicer, I guess...

All in all, I found the longest range (1.5 m; effective range ~1m) IR-Distance sensor a bit easier to deal with (so far) - but it's just my 2c, I'd be interested to hear other experiences...

Best,

Michael

hey

what about interferences with the audio signal ? These devices can sometime produce frequencies on the audible range.. do you own one? could you check that out ? thanks

i remember we had a tv remote control ultrasonic device at home during the 80s and my mother could change the tv program by washing metallic pots :) and you could clearly hear some very high frequencies while pushing the buttons

simone