Further Education Microcontroller Courses

cosmosuave

Since I  have started building my SIDbox I though it would be a good idea to take some course at the local college to learn programming of micro controllers... Not being familiar with them would this be an asset for me in building any of the MIDIbox platforms? Through my work I can get reimbursed for successful completion of the course up to $1500 worth... I do have some previous electronics experience but nothing involving PICS and stuff...

Below are the cousre outlines... Any thoughts?

certificate name: COMPUTER ENGINEERING MICROCONTROLLER TECHNOLOGY

description: All new electrical and electronic equipment is controlled by microcontrollers. If you are interested in learning everything about microcontrollers, this program is for you. The courses were designed and approved through the same process as the day time courses and qualify for the credit transfer to the full-time electronics and computer engineering technology diploma programs. Please take each course in the sequence shown below.

admission requirements: Computer Engineering Fundamentals Certificate of Achievement or permission of the dept.

notes: Laboratory Kits are NOT included in the price of courses. They may be purchased in the college bookstore or from outside sources.

course code:  CEEL-222 

course name:  MICROCONTROLLERS 2 

category:  Engineering Technology & Applied Science 

description:  This is the extension of the CEEL-202 Microcontrollers 1 course. Examine the advanced features of the MC68HC11 architecture: I/O interfacing, interrupt processing, real clock timer, and A/D converter. The special interface board connected to the microcontroller system will be used in the laboratory, which will enable you to gain valuable practical experience.

Special Requirement: Laboratory Kit (not included in the price of the course; may be purchased in the college bookstore or from outside sources)

(includes materials fee - text extra) 

Odds are thoose courses will be HC11 (as it looks like the one is). The HC11 is a completly different thing then the PIC18F that the midibox uses. Much different. I'm in a 68HC11 class right now and going from it to the PIC is a bit of a shock.

Edit: Although a lot of what you'll learn can be used in application to this. How much digital electronics experience do you have? Basic understanding of gates and basic logic cirucits is a must. These class will introduce the concept of assembly programing and the parts of an MCU. Just keep in mind you can't learn HC11 asm then program the PIC. Type ldda $8100 into MPLAB and it will throw a fit (well MPASM will).

How much digital electronics experience do you have? Basic understanding of gates and basic logic cirucits is a must. These class will introduce the concept of assembly programing and the parts of an MCU. Just keep in mind you can't learn HC11 asm then program the PIC. Type ldda $8100 into MPLAB and it will throw a fit (well MPASM will).

Not much digital experience... By the sounds of things my money for a course could be spent better elesewhere...