Is this encoder MB compatible?

Nomical

I recently obtained a 'keyboard' for a Bruker NMR system at my work, which suffered water damage.

This is what it looks like:

chap6.41.jpg

As you can see there's a large dial knob at the bottom. It's an optical encoder, this one: S1 Optical Shaft Encoder and the datasheet.

I think it's quite a durable one because it has a ball bearing and has a very long smooth spin time.

I was wondering if i could use it for my MB project which uses that same Bruker keyboard case/housing.

The case has a wheel on the bottom which makes the dialknob spin more or less freely/easily, a nice feature if i say so myself ;D

Here is some info, copied from the website:

2-channel quadrature,TTL squarewave outputs

3rd channel index option

Tracks from 0 to 100,000 cycles/sec

Ball bearing option tracks to 10,000 RPM

If this encoder can be used, what would be the use of having two channels sending the same data?

I found this info somewhere: Quadrature encoders have 2 IR sensors reading two slightly out of phase patterns to determine if your wheel is rotating clockwise or counterclockwise.

Is this what the two channels are for? Or can i just use one channel? And what is the index channel for?

The +5V can be taken from any +5V pin left unused on the core/DIN/LTC modules, right?

I can wire it using the normal method and mix it up with standard ALPS encoders on the same DIN board, right?

Thanks!

Is this what the two channels are for?

... yes. Do some investigation on the forum and read Ucapss.de "DIN" for more understanding of how an encoder works.

I was wondering if i could use it for my MB project

... you should find out what type you have (resolution). If you have 1000+ CPR (cycles per revolution), it could be a problem.

Most softwares let you set the Jog-resolution but so many cycles will stress your Midi-Bus and might end up in buffer overrun.

Technically from the Encoder I don't see another problem. I also have some of those (540 CPR) but I don't know yet what I will do with them.

Greets, Roger

... yes. Do some investigation on the forum and read Ucapss.de "DIN" for more understanding of how an encoder works.

I was a bit confused about what the index does. My ALPS encoders have 3 pins, but this S1 encoder has 5 pins...

One thing I noticed is the fact that the ALPS don't have any type number on them for finding the datasheet etc, just the ALPS logo is visible.

... you should find out what type you have (resolution). If you have 1000+ CPR (cycles per revolution), it could be a problem.

Most softwares let you set the Jog-resolution but so many cycles will stress your Midi-Bus and might end up in buffer overrun.

Technically from the Encoder I don't see another problem. I also have some of those (540 CPR) but I don't know yet what I will do with them.

It has 256 CPR, the type number is S1-256-BM6. So i guess it won't give any problems.

I was a bit confused about what the index does. My ALPS encoders have 3 pins, but this S1 encoder has 5 pins...

One thing I noticed is the fact that the ALPS don't have any type number on them for finding the datasheet etc, just the ALPS logo is visible.

... just forget about the "index". It would tell the software, when a full shaft revolution is completed. Is sometimes used like a "counter-recalibration" if any impulses of A/B got lost. This Encoder is made for high speed (e.g. motors), where the index can be used to count revolution and the quadratur is used for positioning.

The Ground pin you just can hook to the boards ground.

Greets, Roger