MIDIBox64

Guest Shaggy2Dope

Guest Shaggy2Dope

I'm looking to make a mix panel for an MP3 mixing program, what kinda circuit would I need for a midibox64, to have 64 pots/LEDs/Buttons without the LCD?

Although it's clear on the main site, you'll need a core, 2 Ains for 64 pots , one Dinx4 and one Doutx4 for 32 buttons w/ leds. Without the LCD you will only save for the LCD's money. I sugest you use an LCD since it's very usefull for testing and debugging ...

Guest Shaggy2Dope

Thanks alot for that, now, i'm a little confused about the firmware ...

I don't have MIDI out on my computer, i'm not interested in the BankStick thingy, Can I hook up my box to my midi in, and use it straight away with the firmware that's available on the site or do each pot/button have to be configured ?

You gonna need a midi out. Even if you make the MIOS version you still got to tell it what to do.

If you have a keyboard you can teach some note events and stuff.

Perhaps you could use a serial midi driver and port out your serial.

There's some serial stuff on here somewhere

Ian

Guest Shaggy2Dope

HAHAH ICP is too hard to mix ... the beats change too much in song, and between songs ...

I'm still trying to find out whether I can get PCB's made here in Adelaide, and how much it's going to cost ... Damn slack electronic stores ...

Anyone got any other suggestions if I can't get PCB's made up ?

As a last resort... Press'n'Peel from Jaycar... make your own.... Beware.... you will spend a whole day drilling holes for 5 boards or so... and sharpening a 0.8mm drill aint fun

(unless you are a fitter machinist like me ;D he he!)

you will need a nice drill, like a dremel... expensive :'(

BTW oatley electronics in Sydney has good prices on LCD's they have a fast mail order service too. If you need pIC18f452 fast, then credit card Farnell. otherwise, just order from microchip, or maybe Dontronics ('877 only, I think)

Farnell have cheap slider pots (but a bit crappy) and jaycar have cheap 16mm pots (not sure on the quality)

jaycar have both 10mhz and 20mhz crystals now.

btw, if your program has a midilearn function, setup will be very easy (like fruityloops, but then again midi implementation is very annoying on that program >:()

BTW, if you use press and peel, get back to me, and I'll give you a few tips.

Guest Shaggy2Dope

Interesting concept ... how does that press'n'peel thingy work exactly ? And what kinda size is the board ? If it's large enough, i'll put the entire circuit on one board.

Hrmmm ... Vectorboard ... could be interesting ... guess that's another option ...

I can get everything except the LCD in Adelaide, guess I'm gonna have to order one from Farnell or somewhere similar.

This programming of buttons and pots is confusing ... I just don't understand ... even C programming is easier to understand!  :-/

press'n'peel is very similar to the 'how to make a PCB' page on Thorstens site. The only difference is that you use a special plastic film to photocopy the PCB pattern on to ($35 Aus for 5 sheets, similar to A4 size) The pattern is then ironed on, just like on Thorsten's site, only it comes off easier, and cleabner.

I fit my entire LC emulation on one board!!

what are you confused about?? why not just take the standard configuration?? if you don't need all the pots, just ground the inputs you are not using.

farnell is extremely expensive for the LCD. Dick Smith sells a 16x2 (=backlit version), oatley has 40x2. Jaycar also has a 16x2

good luck!!

Guest Shaggy2Dope

I mean you need to program each button with a note ... I guess that can be done with a MIDI keyboard ... but what do you program the pots to do ? I mean the program I use, MixVibes Pro, you configure the midi mixer in an ini like this:

VOLUME: 1 1 2 2

IE ... Volume is configured to POT 1 for Channel 1 and Pot 2 for Channel 2 ...

Does that mean I won't have to program each pot and MixVibes will know what each Pot will do ?