MIDIO 128 init file

organman

The MIDIO 128 init file example uses number strings as in 90 30.  I understand the 90.  What is the relationship of the 30 to the MIDI note number?  I want to have access to MIDI note 24 (C3) up.  I see in hooking up the DIN boards to the core that the default seems to be C4 up 64 notes then controls above that.  Can someone please clarify the relationship of the second number to the actual MIDI note?  Thanks

My understanding is that C3 MIDI is note 24.  C1/32'CCCC is 0, C2/16'CCC is 12, C3/8' CC is 24.  Am I missing an octave somewere?  I am fighting with getting the .ini to .syx conversion done on this computer which is running Vista.  I may have to fall back to XP or 98 to make the conversion.  The MIDI in and out and links to the core board seem fine.  MIDI 60 is middle C or in pipe length terms, an open pipe about 2' long. 

Thanks,

Bill K

My understanding is that C3 MIDI is note 24. 

Welcome to the big debate, gents. I suggest you buy a snack from the bar because you might be here for a while ;)

There are LOTS of different implementations. But strictly speaking, the MMA says:

playing note number 60... would play the middle C note

This and durisian's trick are consistent with the tuning spec:

3C 00 00 = 261.6256 Hz (middle C)

But if you ignore the MMA... Well, you won't be the first, not by a long shot. If it's good for steinborg.... ;)

• 5 months later...

Well, I guess everyone was enjoying their candy bars instead of debating.

I really don't want to debate whether middle C should be reported as C4 or C3. I'll just say I think MIOS Studio and the LCD displays of the MIDIbox apps should report it the same. Now we can debate what that same should be... Walk ten paces, turn, and fire.

Well, I guess everyone was enjoying their candy bars instead of debating.

Hahah, no i meant that it's been a long-running debate. See cubase vs cakewalk vs logic for an example.... I guess teh midiboxers are enjoying the show huh :)

I really don't want to debate whether middle C should be reported as C4 or C3. I'll just say I think MIOS Studio and the LCD displays of the MIDIbox apps should report it the same. Now we can debate what that same should be... Walk ten paces, turn, and fire.

Well here's the thing - not all devices share the same Cx for middle C. Middle C in MIDI is C5 is note 60. Count from note 0 which is the first C note, so call it C0... That makes note 60 C5

On an organ it's C2 according to organ man. In scientific notation it's C4. But on a piano it's C4. If the piano has 88 keys. If not, it may be C3....

The point is, the numbering is instrument-specific. If the instrument's range of notes is limited by midi (as opposed to pipes, strings, keys, etc) then IMO it should be C5 ... But try telling that to a piano player who expects that pitch to be called C3, and you know why this debate will never end.