Seq3 and AOUT_NG

whomper

As I move from MIDI to the realm of modular, I am looking at having my Seq3 device control the modular rig I am starting to compile.

For this I would like to control notes and filter.

AOUT_NG looks like the recommended course to take.

Questions:

1. Will I be able to control pitch and filter?

2. Control 1 VCO pitch and 1 VCF cutoff will require 2 CV output, right?

3. Would I need to utilize the Gates as well?

Thanks,

Whomper

• 1 month later...

Well, just noticed I need a +-12V source for the aout_ng.

What's the best course of action on this? Should I use the +-15V of my modular and step it down to +-12V?

If so, which available solutions are available? (I am looking to avoid to use the 15V directly and change the board components at first stage).

Thanks,

Whomper

I didn't measure the current until now - if you've got the bipolar option installed, this will need around 60mA. besides that it's only two TL074s whose consumption depends mainly on what you connect to the CV outputs. But I guess the max total consumption should be around 100mA.

S

I finally just got my aout (old MAX chip version) finished and installed.  I mounted the aout as a module in my synth, and use the synth power supply.  I used rj45 jacks and a network cable for the interconnect between the sequencer and the aout in the synth.  That gives me 8 CV's, 2 gates from the aout board and 3 more gates from the core. (the other 5 wires are the digital power and tx)

After just one night of playing with it, I already know I'll need to get more gates over to the synth, but this works for now.

Use your imagination.  I had not only filters and VCO's being controlled, but then another VCO to FM the primary, and the tune of the modulator vco was being controlled by the seq.  Use one CV for notes, but then you can use a 2nd track going to the same VCO to control octaves.  I have a bunch of other not so standard modules, wave shapers, multipliers, etc that I was also controlling w/ the seq. 

Also had a cymbal sound going and ran that through a VCA, then I took a CV and sent it to the VCA to open it more on some hits so it gave an open/close hi hat sort of sound.

The seq and a modular are a great combo!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, connected the NG to the Seq, voltage is as expected (I have used the 15V with 2K resistors option), but no signal is visible in the CV1 output.

I have also noticed the pin connection's labels in the reference diagram (the one with the blue lines for connecting to the core) are not the same between NG and core. For example, NC:SC -> CORE:RC, NC:SI -> CORE:SC and NC:CS -> CORE:SI. Is there an error in the connection diagram?

How can I verify all is well with the board?

How can I verify CORE:J6 is outputting a correct signal?

Whomper

I have also noticed the pin connection's labels in the reference diagram (the one with the blue lines for connecting to the core) are not the same between NG and core. For example, NC:SC -> CORE:RC, NC:SI -> CORE:SC and NC:CS -> CORE:SI. Is there an error in the connection diagram?

different pin names are no issue - most pins on the core are generic I/O pins of the pic, so what you use them for can depend on the application.

But you're talking about J6, which tells me you're using the wrong interconnection diagram. I know that the NG documentation doesn't talk much about other apps, that's because I don't have e.g. a MBSEQ at hand. Perhaps I need to elaborate that section a bit more... Quote from the existing doc:

The pin assignment is the same as on the AOUT module. For connection to MBSID, the blue lines on this link show the necessary connections.

That means, the linked PDF is (only!) valid for MBSID. For all other applications, please take a look at the AOUT page, section "pinning". On the core side, the connection depends on the application you're using. The NG has the same connector layout as the "old" AOUT, that means you need to connect it exactly the same way as you would an AOUT.

S

Right, I hadn't noticed it was referencing the MBSID module connection...

Well, I have connected it based on the SEQ-AOUT connection diagram, however I am getting no output at CV1 (testing with first CV first..)

Any tips on isolating the issue?

Whomper

did you configure the application for AOUT_NG? (setup_mbseq_v3.asm: #define DEFAULT_AOUT_MODULE_TYPE 2)

did you install the jumpers correctly?

are you measuring nothing at all (0V) or an unchanging value?

Did you follow the instructions here: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_manual.html, section "AOUT Port"? I didn't use a MBSEQ yet, but from the manual I get you need to configure AOUT as "Midi out port" on the Track Event page.

S

ok, still in need to build some more modules in modular before I can test it. I am building it piece by piece DIY style :-)

On a side note and as for the SEQ, I understand it can serve the same purpose as the dedicated Midibox CV. I mean, I would like to both control the modular via SEQ as well as map incoming MIDI notes coming into SEQ to be converted as CV data into the modular.

Is the above correct? How does this routing take place in the SEQ config?

Can I also convert incoming MIDI controller data into CV? All via SEQ as a path through and MIDI to CV converter.

Should I better connect the NG to a new CORE and build a Midibox CV instead which will allow me a dedicated MIDI2CV with proper administration UI?

Whomper

I'd recommend reading the user manual / description pages of SEQ and MBCV thoroughly to find out what set of features really fits your needs. On a sidenote, the newer versions of MBSID also have very impressive CV functions built in, so you could also build a "MBSID" without SID module and only basic control surface and get extensive modulation possibilities, 6 LFOs, 2 EGs etc. You can configure the CV out channels to output the pitch, cutoff, resonance, pulsewidth etc parameters of the sound engine and use the mod matrix to map various LFOs, Envelopes, trigger events etc to these outputs. This solution is maybe harder to fully understand but the possibilities are endless :)

S