did i just fry my pic ?

matrigs

my core worked for over two years, now i have inserted a new sysex and suddenly it won't start up any more. i just have the long black bar at the top of the lcd. the sysex request still goes out but it seems to not respond at all.

the weird think is that when i did put in another pic and uploaded a sysex it suddenly started to reset like in the topic beneath but i finally got rid of that.

but what with the first pic - is there any way to check if a pic is dead with a multimeter or something like that ?

hi

i think that the only way to fry a PIC is to feed it with over 6 volts, it can t get "stuck" anyhow sometime.

You may try to upload MIOS again, if it doesn t work with the "wait for upload request" feature in MIOSStudio, you ll have to do it manually, that means to power on and start the upload within 2 second without the automatic feature, and you ll probably have to try it a few times if something has gone wrong before in your PIC, before it ll accept the new MIOS

As an extreme remedy you can reset the PIC with a burner.

It may be that you ve sent it a sysex that is incompatible with the older version of MIOS you had there

the weird think is that when i did put in another pic and uploaded a sysex it suddenly started to reset like in the topic beneath but i finally got rid of that.

maybe this PIC had a more recent MIOS installed ?

Simone

no it's probably really dead - this sysex string it sends when it starts up isn't a dump request - at least neither sysexbox nor miosstudio receive it as such. manually uploading different applications with different programs doesn't work either.

another wicked thing is that on this other pic (a newer one) i can't get to rest the analog inputs - they just won't get themselves grounded and i get alot of midi garbage.

also the ains was the only thing i was working on today so i must have damaged something there or maybe i didn't disconnect the midibox before soldering and something burned inside the pic.

oh man you are my personal hero !

in fact i forced mios into the pic a few times with mios studio and it finally worked. at the beginning i got a lot of feedback like this "unexpected sysex request" or somehting like that but then suddenly i went in smoothly and now works like a charm !

so if someone finds this topic with the search function - when you have some similar problem, try using mios studio for uploading the sysex with the enabled function "wait for upload request" (it WONT work witout this ! - i tried several times). click "send sysex" and then reset your core to make it send the upload request.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem but:

when you have some similar problem, try using mios studio for uploading the sysex with the enabled function "wait for upload request" (it WONT work witout this ! - i tried several times). click "send sysex" and then reset your core to make it send the upload request.

this is not working. I'm getting no response from the PIC that was working perfectly yesterday. It's 4685 that was working perfectly until I uploaded the MBSID 1.7 into it, out of curiosity. After having issues with 1.7 and my, previously working, bansticks I uploaded 2.0 again and it doesn't respond to anything.

I've tried uploading MIOS again, but even after it does so, I still get black bars. It's frozen. I've come across similar situations throughout the forum topics but the solutions offered do not solve the problem. So is there a simple way to completely wipe the PIC and start from scratch and start again from the ground up and burn the bootstraploader?

Once again I've tried many different solutions already provided from different threads but I get no results. And when someone asks how to perform some memory wipe procedure, the answer was avoided and instead a different solution was given.

Once again I've tried many different solutions already provided from different threads but I get no results. And when someone asks how to perform some memory wipe procedure, the answer was avoided and instead a different solution was given.

that s not for fun, if people is told so there is a reason and the reason is that there are very few situations where it s not possible to rescue a PIC  from temporal failure (except of course if it s been fried by high voltage), i actually can t remember any in the forum..

I am tempted to tell you to try to manually start the upload process of MIOS without the automatic "wait for upload request" feature in MIOSStudio but i fear the mods  ;)

So is there a simple way to completely wipe the PIC and start from scratch and start again from the ground up and burn the bootstraploader?

NO but there is a difficult way: build or buy a burner and wipe it then burn the 1st BSL

simone

that s not for fun, if people is told so there is a reason and the reason is that there are very few situations where it s not possible to rescue a PIC  from temporal failure (except of course if it s been fried by high voltage), i actually can t remember any in the forum..

That's right - the 1st layer BSL prevents any uploads from overwriting it. As such, breaking the BSL is near to impossible.

I am tempted to tell you to try to manually start the upload process of MIOS without the automatic "wait for upload request" feature in MIOSStudio but i fear the mods  ;)

LOL. By all means try that - but don't call it a solution and don't blame mios studio ;) If you find that this works, but it doesn't work with "wait for upload req" turned on, then that is not a solution, it's a possible hint at the cause. You should keep troubleshooting in case that little problem grows into a big one, some day...

As such, breaking the BSL is near to impossible.

And it's a good thing because goofy asses like me who don't understand how this kind of stuff works, starts freaking out and think re-uploading the BSL will magically fix something...and get straight up denied.  :-[

I am tempted to tell you to try to manually start the upload process of MIOS without the automatic "wait for upload request" feature in MIOSStudio but i fear the mods

I will keep trying this, maybe I'll get lucky eventually.

You should keep troubleshooting in case that little problem grows into a big one, some day...

There's these little metal tentacles growing from where the PIC pins used to be...is that a big problem???  :o

Holy crap. So the problem was that one of the pins from the IC Socket pierced the insulation in one of the two wire bridges made on the bottom of the core. Geez what the hell. Everything's working perfectly again.

Gotta get those orders of operation down, man.  :-[

IIRC, there's a soldering guide for the core that says that the sockets should go on first, with the one exception being the resistor under the socket. I do it that way anyhow because the sockets are the one thing I won't overheat by accident ;) But yeh... do it that way and you won't risk soldering the socket and punching it down on an airwire ;)