DIN Module not working at all for MBFM

napierzaza

EDIT: Okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'm going to edit my whole post

I have checked my DIN Connections and everything traces fine to the core. For some reason there is not a single button that I can push that causes any change on the LCD. Are there additional things I should upload to tell the FM that there is a control surface?

Also what are the bankstick.hex and bankstick.syx ? Are these the same files which can be loaded in the two different methods (ie they're encoded for mios loading etc)? OR do I have to load only one type?

Using jsynthlib and it's supposedly working. How do I upload the 3 default presets onto my 4 24lc512 banksticks? Is the addressing A,B,C ??? This is the equivalent to A0,A1,A2 for the banksticks?

It plays every preset as it loads each individual one, but I am unsure how to make it switch to those specific instruments. It's also ambiguous whether there would be an error in the application if it failed.

bump

Strange thing is that I've checked my connections with a multi-meter to J9 and everything is good. The Synth starts up fine so I'm guessing that a short is not happening. I've even tried just tripping the main selection wheel with some pliers to make sure it's not my panel wiring and nothing happens. I'm starting to think it's the board or the ICs or something but am not sure how to check that. It's a smash board and I've looked over my work several times. I've removed all but the first IC to see if it works then but no luck. Which port of J1 am I supposed to connect my cable to (Smash DIN board)? The one nearest the edge or the one furthest?

I have checked my DIN Connections and everything traces fine to the core. For some reason there is not a single button that I can push that causes any change on the LCD. Are there additional things I should upload to tell the FM that there is a control surface?

Also what are the bankstick.hex and bankstick.syx ? Are these the same files which can be loaded in the two different methods (ie they're encoded for mios loading etc)? OR do I have to load only one type?

Using jsynthlib and it's supposedly working. How do I upload the 3 default presets onto my 4 24lc512 banksticks? Is the addressing A,B,C  This is the equivalent to A0,A1,A2 for the banksticks?

It plays every preset as it loads each individual one, but I am unsure how to make it switch to those specific instruments. It's also ambiguous whether there would be an error in the application if it failed.

Strange thing is that I've checked my connections with a multi-meter to J9 and everything is good. The Synth starts up fine so I'm guessing that a short is not happening. I've even tried just tripping the main selection wheel with some pliers to make sure it's not my panel wiring and nothing happens. I'm starting to think it's the board or the ICs or something but am not sure how to check that. It's a smash board and I've looked over my work several times. I've removed all but the first IC to see if it works then but no luck. Which port of J1 am I supposed to connect my cable to (Smash DIN board)? The one nearest the edge or the one furthest?

NOTE: This was in the MBFM forum but no one responded.

No - did you already follow the DIN troubleshooting guide?

-> http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/din_module

please ignore these files, they are part of the release package by accident. They won't work with the current firmware anymore.

Please use the released presets, which can be found at the MIDIbox FM page

Using jsynthlib and it's supposedly working. How do I upload the 3 default presets onto my 4 24lc512 banksticks?

It's described in the README.txt of preset_patches_20050212.zip

Is the addressing A,B,C  This is the equivalent to A0,A1,A2 for the banksticks?

Where did you found the addressing A/B/C?

No, A0..A2 are three address selection input. There are 8 possible combinations for 8 possible addresses

Each BankStick requires a unique address, otherwise the firmware won't be able to access any.

It could even crash!

See also the MBHP_BANKSTICK page for a schematic which describes the different address configurations

Maybe this info already helps you to solve the issues

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I checked the continuity of the 5 wires to the core module and everything checked. Also I checked for the available voltage that was going to the module (4.9 volts). In terms of uploading MBHP128 I tried but for some reason my unit freaked out and the LCD had a bunch of garbage on it for some time afterwards. It stopped messaging when it booted up and I had to re-flash with MIOS and then the FM application. I'm a little bit anxious about doing that again. I figured I could just check it some other way, such as shorting the pins directly on the DIL to make sure it wasn't my buttons or button wiring.

I got the a,b,c,d addressing from the jsynth snapshot that you have for download. When uploading the preset patches it only gives the options of a,b,c,d in place of the A0,A1,A2,A3 that I expected. I had wired the bankstick board just like the bankstick board said. I have read the description in the preset zip file and I believe it may have worked as I haven't gotten any errors. The only question is whether a,b,c,d meas a0,a1... Once I have my CS working I'm going to be able to actually navigate to the banksticks and troubleshoot that part.

Okay,

So now I've completely swapped out the DIN. I changed the entire board, all the chips, and the cable going to the hardware. This means that either the default .hex has nothing about a DIN module, or that my core has those pins burned out? I check the connections on my core and they're very simple traces that I made sure to redo. It still does not work at all.

Heehee, you actually deleted the wrong one,

Nope, I didn't delete any! I always ask the name's permission before deleting a post (I'll make exceptions but I haven't had to yet). I merged both topics into one, which was created in the FM subforum, with the most descriptive of the two subjects :)

All the posts are there :)