Ordering additional parts, att: SmashTV

latigid on

Hi again. Being on the bottom of the world means everything is expensive (well at least components), and that shipping is also.

If I was to order, say, two 40x2 LCD screens from crystalfontz and have them sent to SmashTV, would he be able to repackage them with an order of his circuit boards/kits?

Or, does anyone else have a better idea?

Thanks

(I did email through his site, but did not receive a reply)

It seems a very extreme method for saving a few bucks on postage,

and i'd guess it would be a huge inconvenience for smash.

If he was to add the 2 lcds to his package, it would probably end up costing more to ship anyway.

My advice is maybe try to get a bulk order started.

Nebula did one a few months ago, and we saved a lot of money thanks to him!

these were for Optrex displays.

And also, do not buy direct from crystalfonts as you can pick them cheaper elsewhere.

Take their 24x4 lcds on here for example:

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-xb-lcdxx

Shipping is only 11 dollars airmail to my country for example.

Unfortuneatly they do not stock 40x2 lcds.

(I did email through his site, but did not receive a reply)

How long ago was that?

I live in Australia and I know that sometimes shipping so far can be hard (would be way worse if I was in say, Serbia...not mentioning any names) ... but I try not to make it someone else's problem, unless they offer first. Maybe you should do the same ;)

It was around a week ago.

We'll forgive you cause you're new, but smash is way busier than that. Wait a while ;)

Maybe I'm being opportunistic, but I don't think it hurts to ask!

Well think about it from the other person's perspective.. Now remember, I don't speak on smash's behalf, but....

If you ask, and he says yes to you, then he's going to be under pressure to say yes to everyone (because they'll say "well, you did it for latigid!"). That's a lot of free time he'd be handing out.

Also, if you ask in a private email, it's a lot more appropriate - it's easier to say no if he needs to, and it brings less pressure upon smash if he says yes.

No offence, but to me, such things seem to be common courtesy. I can tell that you don't mean any rudeness, but I think maybe you just didn't think it through so well ;) and maybe, you think of smash as more of a store, when in fact he is just a midiboxer like you and I, who helps us all out (a lot) with hardware.

I mean, the cost of shipping is more than the cost of an LCD!

I know how it is  :'( That's why it pays to get a few things from a store when you buy it... Like, if you need an LCD, maybe you'll find a place that sells it for $5... but there might be another place that sells it for 6$, that also has the switches you need. You're actually better off paying the extra 1$ for the LCD, because you'll save it by combining shipping with the switches. That's just one example of course, but there are lots of clever ways to sort out the problem of high shipping costs.

I think the golden rule here for you would be patience... wait and see what smash has to say when he has a minute, and hang around the forums/chat for a while and get to know our great community, and take your time finding suppliers for your parts, and things will fall together.

You're in .au yeh? I'm in Melbourne...

You're in .au yeh? I'm in Melbourne...

Ha, nearly! Just around the corner in New Zealand (Fosh 'n chops  :) )

Please note that I will not respond to any questions via email not directly related to the circuit boards or other parts bought from me.

I do however try to answer every question I can on the MidiBox Forum.

That's why I posted. Hopefully no offense caused. If so, then I apologise.

I'm actually gonna buy some LCDs off Wilba anyway; maybe later I might swap them out for different colours.

I'm probably trying to rush things as I am looking to strike while our dollar is high (apparently the highest in 22 years).

And I can't wait to start building these things :)

Andy

Hah, bloody kiwi! ban him!  ;D

Hopefully no offense caused. If so, then I apologise.

I dunno, I guess we'll find out when smash gets here... Like I said, I don't speak for smash... I'm just saying what I personally think is right :) You definitely haven't offended me :)