My finished MB-SID

SLP

hi folks,

Everyone wants to build one of these huge 8-SID-Wilba-Monsters - Me not.

I've planned to build a simple 2SID-midibox, but then got stuck in troubleshooting.

I've ordered another Core-kit from Mike, an this time everything went fine.

At that time I just wanted to PLAY!!!  fortunately I had a cheap enclosure lying

around which seemed to fit perfectly.

I know It looks pretty ugly, but it's the sound that counts.

some information:

SID : 8580

Feedback pot planned, -> no external audio in

the yellow shrink tube thingie is my bankstick

some questions:

I know that with the V2 firmware I have got a LOT of possibilities, but

I don't need them. I just want a simple modmatrix, without any mathematic

relations between sources and targets. I don't need Ensembles, I don't need

the Drumengine, I just want the V1 firmware, but I somehow can't find

neither the firmware, nor any manual about using V1.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: I'm using the PIC 18F4685

regards

matthias

SSCN0838_thumb.JPG

SSCN0839_thumb.JPG

SSCN0840_thumb.JPG

SSCN0841_thumb.JPG

SSCN0838.JPG

SSCN0839.JPG

SSCN0840.JPG

SSCN0841.JPG

I like the way it looks, beats my nasty disk-case LC module. I am a big fan of V1. I may build a seperate V2 to playback PSID files.

V1 Manual: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_v1.html

V1 Firmware: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html

I actually was looking for the V1 firmware for the PIC 18F4685, and with manual I've meant something like this.

Thanks for your effort anyway  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you want 1.74685, but seeing as it's the same hardware, you'd be mad not to just run v2.

I want it simple. This is supposed to be my little, mobile Jam-session-SID. And I am using only one SID. Using the Polyphonic engine with just one SID is pretty useless. you can play 3 notes and the next 3 notes will be silent.

And,.. I've got friends that call me "mad" just because I know how to use a soldering iron ;D

But: there is a problem with the filter. somehow the Cutoff frequency seems to be  modulated by an LFO. I've set all LFO depths to zero and checked that that there is no mod source assigned to the filter, but it stays the same...

And there's anothe Issue with my Banksticks: sometimes after booting, or during stepping through the patch numbers, they are being formatted! And sometimes there are "patches" that should be <empty>, but showing like 16 arrows pointing leftwards.

I think I've killed my Bankstick. But thats not a problem.

A bigger problem is that I think that my first OSC is dead. it doesn't sound when I've switched OSC 2+3 off, but makes a sound when OSC 2 or 3 or both are on.

weird.

And what does "OPS" mean in the OSC menu?

Thanks a lot,

regards

matthias

I want it simple. This is supposed to be my little, mobile Jam-session-SID. And I am using only one SID. Using the Polyphonic engine with just one SID is pretty useless. you can play 3 notes and the next 3 notes will be silent.

This won't happen, when you enable the Mono option in the ENS->SID menu

Especially for Jam sessions the V2 firmware is much better, e.g. bassline and drum sequences can be easily prepared and interactively selected.

However, the PIC18F4685 variant of MBSID V1 is located here

But: there is a problem with the filter. somehow the Cutoff frequency seems to be  modulated by an LFO. I've set all LFO depths to zero and checked that that there is no mod source assigned to the filter, but it stays the same...

In the PIC18F452 variant of V1 firmware, matrix registers are crossing the ECAN memory range - random things can happen.

And there's anothe Issue with my Banksticks: sometimes after booting, or during stepping through the patch numbers, they are being formatted! And sometimes there are "patches" that should be <empty>, but showing like 16 arrows pointing leftwards.

I think I've killed my Bankstick. But thats not a problem.

Sounds like an issue with R2 of the core (or could it be, that this resistor is not soldered?)

A bigger problem is that I think that my first OSC is dead. it doesn't sound when I've switched OSC 2+3 off, but makes a sound when OSC 2 or 3 or both are on.

weird.

Really weird; hopefully not a digital defect inside the SID - are you able to test it with another SID chip?

And what does "OPS" mean in the OSC menu?

Oscillator Phase Synchronisation (phase is reset together with ENV trigger for more percussive sounds)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

In the PIC18F452 variant of V1 firmware, matrix registers are crossing the ECAN memory range - random things can happen.

changed to V2, problem solved

Sounds like an issue with R2 of the core (or could it be, that this resistor is not soldered?)

R2 is soldered, after the upload of V2, the BS is formatting nonstop. sometimes you can see the CS-startup screen, but before It disappears, formatting starts again.

I think it's just a damaged BS

Really weird; hopefully not a digital defect inside the SID - are you able to test it with another SID chip?

Tested with V2 and a 6852: still the same... ::)

matthias

it seems that none of the 3 OSCs can work alone.

If I add a second OSC,  the volume of the first osc depends of the WAveform of the second one  ::)

Tri,Saw and Noise: quite silent,

the rest: bit louder.

The second OSC doesn't sound at all

only if i play all three OSC, everyone works

• 3 months later...

well,.. as I already said somewhere else:

my PSU was too weak.

I got a new one, bit noisy, but it works.

Then I thought about all the features of a stereo-SID.

And then I thought about the pair of 6852 I've got from Wilba...

And then I bought a bigger housing and grabbed the SID-PCB that was intended for my "bigger" SID...

Now I'm looking for a knob that fits better to the new housing..

DSCN0230[1].jpg

DSCN0231[1].jpg