SEQ duo matrix questions

bugfight

I have a few questions about the SEQ duo matrix, before the sparkfun pcb thing gets serious

1. what is the function of the 4 "extra" buttons on the left?

2. are the extras single leds?

3. do the extras have their own shift registers, (so 4 pins are left unattached)?

4. does/will the seq software implement the debounce feature from the duo example?

ok, that's enough q for now...

The extra buttons are used to select the track group directly, and the 4 integrated LEDs display the currently selected group. These buttons/LEDs are strongly recommented for new frontpanel designs.

It depends on your HW configuration, if an additional 74HC595 is required. I added it to the end of the BLM chain

The debouncing method I used for the BLM module is very expensive (RAM and CPU wise). MBSEQ V3 has no additional RAM free for such features (only if you would get rid of useful features like Undo buffer and Mixer...)

But I could add a "cheap" version which disables all BLM buttons for a short moment (e.g. 20 mS). I guess that you wouldn't really notice a difference, because it's the same approach which MIOS uses to optionally debounce normal DINs, and nobody ever complained about this ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

But I could add a "cheap" version which disables all BLM buttons for a short moment (e.g. 20 mS). I guess that you wouldn't really notice a difference, because it's the same approach which MIOS uses to optionally debounce normal DINs, and nobody ever complained about this ;)

Exactly. I have a few commercial synths that do the same. I'd say go for it :)

The extra buttons are used to select the track group directly, and the 4 integrated LEDs display the currently selected group. These buttons/LEDs are strongly recommented for new frontpanel designs.

ah ok, it sounds like if building a new seq, these should be on the main panel, and only users with existing v2 seq would

want to put them on the extension.

It depends on your HW configuration, if an additional 74HC595 is required. I added it to the end of the BLM chain

just to be clear why i asked this: i am planning to build an extension module and connect it to the main seq with say a db9 connector, carrying only the din/dout signals.  sounds like if other folks follow this and want the track group buttons on the extension (i think only makes sense for existing v2 seq), they will need to add these...

The debouncing method I used for the BLM module is very expensive (RAM and CPU wise). MBSEQ V3 has no additional RAM free for such features (only if you would get rid of useful features like Undo buffer and Mixer...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

i suspected this was too expensive, sounds like the 20ms would be fine though.

when pressing several buttons at once, the lag would be <number of simultaneous buttons> * 20mS, right?

thanks for the infos!

just to be clear why i asked this: i am planning to build an extension module and connect it to the main seq with say a db9 connector, carrying only the din/dout signals.  sounds like if other folks follow this and want the track group buttons on the extension (i think only makes sense for existing v2 seq), they will need to add these...

It also makes sense for MB808, so would be nice if you could prepare it.

Btw.: I'm interested in the extension module as well! :)

when pressing several buttons at once, the lag would be <number of simultaneous buttons> * 20mS, right?

No, the lag is always 20 mS (or the configured debouncing time) - independent from the number of simultaneous pressed buttons.

And: a lag/delay will not happen, if the there wasn't a button event for more than 20 mS

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It also makes sense for MB808, so would be nice if you could prepare it.

ok, i will do then.  i will also lay out a 2x4, since this would be more generally useful.

No, the lag is always 20 mS ...

coolness, even better then.

especially for enable buttons, this is more than good enough

Please note, that I'm using duo-colour LEDs for group indicators as well, but only one LED colour is used by the MBSEQ firmware yet. The currently relevant DOUT pins are D7, D5, D3, D1 for group 1/2/3/4 (D6, D4, D2, D0 are connected to the second colour LED, and is reserved for future extensions)

Although LED assignments can be easily changed in the setup_*.asm file, it makes sense to consider such details

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Although LED assignments can be easily changed in the setup_*.asm file, it makes sense to consider such details

agreed.  the customizable nature of midibox is one of it's best features.  but i think in these cases it is better if the hardware is consistent, since it will be easier to troubleshoot, maintain, manage software upgrades, etc