1U Cases, Pots and Buttons

reincarnate

Hey Guys,

First off - I'm totally inspired - Thanks Thorsten for all your work (and all you forum contributors!).  Can't wait to get my teeth into one of these projects.  Did you know you got a plug in the letters page of Future Music last month?

I've found someone on eBay selling 1U Aluminium cases without front panels - he's asking £18 each, which seems to be cheaper than others I've noticed in this forum.  The lot number is 2534673763.  I would be buying one myself, except can't start my project until I've got a job (arrrgh!)

The bad news is that it ends in an hour or so.  He said he had 4 to sell.  So far he wouldn't tell me where he had them made, so if anyone successfully buys, can you ask him and post here??

I've also found a source of Pots and Knobs - http://www.omeg.co.uk/.  They seem to be the ones used on the TL Audio FatMan compressor.  Smooth, but the knobs are maybe a little plain.  Not sure about pricing.

Hope this helps someone!

Steve.

You could put a basic SID in a 1u housing that's being controlled by a computer.

Or a midi filter and midi merger in one box!

The guy you mean on Ebay is probably the guy that used them for his Oakley Sound DIY Filtrex synth projects. At least, i came across a guy that sells something similar to that, but i think that they're not that good. The backside doesn't have a real panel, but it's more like two layers that lay upon eachother. That guy will be back on Ebay, because he's got more than one to sell. I recently bought a 2U rack housing on Ebay Germany from somebody else, nice!!

Hi Steve,

I think pay_c is right. There is not enough panel space for a inferface. As Nomical pointed out it would be great for a SID that will be controlled extrenally. I've been looking in to the possibility of using a rack case for Core moduals with a short muiltcore cabe to connect to a desktop case for the controls. I've got to invesagate this further because of EMI issues. I do belive it wll work so long everything is screened correctly. Besides the MBHP operates at TTL levels (+5 volts)which are rather robust due to the reletivly high voltage.

Anyway, just a thought.

Rowan

I was going to use it to put my sandwiches in.... ;)

Seriously, I was considering it for SID (or perhaps a non-midibox project), but I'm in no position to buy one yet anyway.  BUT! I have read quite a few old posts on this forum asking where to get 1U racks from.  Thought it could help someone.  Auction now over - but I will what out for the guy in case he resurfaces and ask about how the boxes are built.  Thanks for the feedback.

The Future Music plug was a letter telling the magazine they really should do a feature on DIY because all of the incredible stuff going on here.  It's how I found you all.

Looking forward to building a dedicated control surface for my PLG-AN150.

Steve.