midibox64 pot question

gzifcak

i just built a midibox64 with 2 joysticks and 12 rotary pots. no DIN, DOUT, or LCD.

i have uploaded the midibox64 app, and i can see midi data when i move a joystick, but it crashes soon after. the regulator gets very hot.

i used 1k pots, could this be the reason?

without the pots connected, i read about 4k resistance between +5 and ground. with the pots connected it goes down to 9 ohms! is this the parallel resistance or do i have a short somewhere?

thanks for any tips,

greg

hi

i used 1k pots, could this be the reason?

no

without the pots connected, i read about 4k resistance between +5 and ground. with the pots connected it goes down to 9 ohms! is this the parallel resistance or do i have a short somewhere?

yes it really seems like that:

-check that all the pots are connected correctly  1-GND 2-AIN 3-+5v

-check that all the pots are ok (1k between pin 1 and pin 3)

-check the cables: how do the pots connect to the AINs ?pictures?

-remember that 1k pots may work but it s not advised, 10k is the best option

simone

is it possible to measure the resistance while the pots are in circuit? if i measure between the end terminals, won't i just get the same resistance i'm seeing between power and ground?

the pots are connected to the AIN with a ribbon cable.

thanks for the tips. i'm only using 1k pots because i had a bunch that were the perfect size.

is it possible to measure the resistance while the pots are in circuit? if i measure between the end terminals, won't i just get the same resistance i'm seeing between power and ground?

yes it is possible although i don t understand why you want to measure the resistance between Vs and Vd

i assume you have changed the configuration of the app to host 16 AINs

does it crashes without the pots connected?

use your multimeter to back trace voltages between CORE and AIN and between AIN and pots

simone

yes it is possible although i don t understand why you want to measure the resistance between Vs and Vd

measuring this way was correct, and the result indicates a short somewhere.  to find it, first check the with the ain module connected and no pots, then add 1 pot at a time and measure the same way.  measuring v works too, but since you are overloading the vreg, better to test for short with ohmmeter or continuity tester

because there is apparently a short between Vs and Vd. with pots connected i get 9 ohms resistance, with no pots i get 4k. my calculation of the parallel resistance of the pots should be 400 ohms. so how do i measure the resistance of one pot in circuit without just getting the total parallel resistance, which = the resistance btw vs and vd?

i assume you have changed the configuration of the app to host 16 AINs

no! how do i do that?

does it crashes without the pots connected?

i haven't tried, but i can only tell that it crashes because i don't see midi appearing at the pc. without the pots, i don't know what to monitor.

thanks for your help.

ok, i disconnected the ground wire from all the pots. with no pots connected to the AIN module, i get 4k between Vs and Vd. with the first pot connected, i get 800 ohms. with the second pot connected, i get 460 ohms. as i connect the rest, it's just going to go further and further down right? what's wrong here?

oops, i was calculating parallel resistance wrong. 10 1k pots should be 100 ohms. i have 12 1k pots, 4 5k pots (joysticks), and the resistance without the pots connected is 4k. i believe this should = 76 ohms with all the pots connected.

i wish i just had some 10k pots to swap in.

...with the first pot connected, i get 800 ohms. with the second pot connected, i get 460 ohms. as i connect the rest, it's just going to go further and further down right? what's wrong here?

this is the normal series for 1k pots

parallel resistance for equal resistors is Rp = R/N, where N is the number of resistors in parallel.

this total is in parallel with 4k so = 1/(1/4000 + 1/Rp)

you should wind up with ~60 ohms in total with 16 (assuming the joysticks are also 1k)

well i've got all the pots reconnected now, and it seems fine. all i did was remove the ground wire from all the pots, so the wiring hasn't changed at all. there must've been some invisible bridge that i finally broke. i guess when all else fails, disconnect and reconnect.

thanks for all the tips. i'm psyched that it's working!