rs 232 bankstick housing parts source?

subatomic

hi, i searched the forum, but didn't see any info about this.

I have the c64 case, with the 2 serial ports on the side, and I want to make 2 external banksticks.

I bought 2 rs232 female assemblies from digikey or mouser a while back, but the formfactor doesn't fit the c64 sockets because of how the plastic protrudes past the end in order to hold the female connector...

- Does anyone have a good source for their rs-232 connector?  One that would fit the c64 case serial ports?

- i'm having trouble even finding this stuff on digikey/mouser again.. :(    (what keywords should I be searching for?)

Ok, I completed the work on this.  I had an epiphany on how to salvage those rs232 housings I had...

Maybe this will work for you, or others with the same problem...

Description:

My rs-232 sticks have an annoying piece of plastic that prevents them from fitting onto the c64 serial ports.  So I had to do some modification using some 1/2" 4-40 type flathead machine screws and nuts, counter sinking the female 9-pin piece, and clipping off the offending piece of plastic.  See pictures...

IMG_3316.JPG

A finished bankstick.

IMG_3313.JPG IMG_3315.JPG

modifying the RS-232 housing to fit flush onto the C64's serial ports.

before mod (right), and after mod (left)

IMG_3324.JPG IMG_3328.JPG

stuffing the bankstick with an EEPROM chip, using 8pin DIN socket

IMG_3317.JPG

banksticks plugged into the c64 case