Solder...

Doug Wellington

I started to buy some solder from Mouser, but the kind I want is $54!!!   :o :-\ :( >:(

That inspired me to make a comparison of solder prices.  You can see the results in the wiki at: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/dougs_solder_price_survey

Be prepared for a couple shocks, Mouser fans!  (NOTE: If Jameco has it, it's the cheapest...)

Doug

P.S. If you've got suggestions for other places to buy solder, I'll add them to the list...

Ahh you did like me and went searching for the nice eutectic solder huh. I damn nearly fell over when I saw the price - you should try sourcing it in Australia OMG. $80 a 1/2lb roll, I kid you not.

Fortunately I found three rolls of nice fine 63/37 Kester with the no clean flux on ebay for $15. You can imagine how fast I clicked that button! (Oh, the packaging looks like its from the 80's hhahha...fortunately no sign of corrosion)

• 2 months later...

Hi Doug,

You may want to add the Curious Inventor store to your list for their small quantity solder offerings. When purchasing something like .031" solder it's great to buy a pound and be done with it, but I've never felt justified in spending ~$40 for .015" or .02" solder when such a small amount goes a long way. The Curious Inventor store (from the video at uCApps and on your Wiki) has .02" solder in 1oz. quantites for about $2.50, and 1oz. of .02" solder will last through pretty much all the SMD chips most Midibox builders will ever use.

Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/category/15

It's not 63/37 eutectic, but if you're only doing a few SMD chips then it should be exactly what you need at a fraction the price.