[solved] How to send initial AIN state to MIDI OUT at startup?

nsunier

Hi,

I use the AIN_NotifyChange(unsigned char pin, unsigned int pin_value) function to send MIDI message and update display when a pot is moved. It works quite well.

Now, I want, at startup, to do the same thing for each AIN channel in order to send to the PC software the initial AIN channels state. How can I achieve this? Should I call in the Init(void) function (within a loop) the function above or is there another cleaner way to do that?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

nsunier

Should I call in the Init(void) function (within a loop) the function above

yup, you can do that ;)

Edit:

...but of course, you have to read the AIN states, because you don't know what to hand over to this notifier function; so it might be easier, if you read and send the states in the Init() ... or even better: split your functions into useful parts and call those...

No, at the time the Init() hook is invoked, the pots haven't been scanned. I would add a request mechanism into Tick() which sends all pot values when a certain flag is set (e.g. POT_SNAPSHOT_REQ, similar handling like the DISPLAY_UPDATE_REQ you will find in many C based applications).

This flag has to be set after a certain time (which depends on the number of pots). I guess, that with 30 mS you are at the save side.

So, how to add a cheap delay mechanism without sacrificing the Timer() hook: use SR_Service_Prepare() or SR_Service_Finish(), these hooks are called each mS if number of SRIO is > 0 (I guess that you are using DIN/DOUT modules, so SRIO length is probably already initialized?)

Then define a 8bit variable as counter, set it to 30 inside Init()

Inside SR_Service_Prepare() (or _Finish() - doesn't really matter), check if the counter is already 0

if not, decrement it. Check again if it is 0 - yes: set the POT_SNAPSHOT_REQ flag

Once the routine in Tick() is executed (this happens whenever nothing else is to do), it clears POT_SNAPSHOT_REQ (so that this mechanism won't be triggered again), sends the pot values - voila!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...