Wanted! Man building SID chip substitutes.

Foona

I would like to ask the Community what are your thoughts on the Quadra Sid Emulation of the Chip?

TK especially!  ;)

I would love to see a comparison actually, of QuadraSid, ReSid, and that Tracker that used the Resid engine.

if someone knows of a site please post a linky.

I have no idea.

They look like the right ones Buhler, but i never got an answer to my question.

I don't like purchasing stuff when im not shure.

But then again..they do look like the ones.

I would really like if somone with "AVR experience" could come and give us a pointer.

I needs to build it too dawg!  8)

I have no idea.

They look like the right ones Buhler, but i never got an answer to my question.

I don't like purchasing stuff when im not shure.

But then again..they do look like the ones.

I would really like if somone with "AVR experience" could come and give us a pointer.

I needs to build it too dawg!  8)

i'm a good guesser... ;) i'll check this out and get back to you!  i just thought that maybe you did some of the work already.  we'll have to start a combined SwinSID build thread! ;D

Looks like it yeah.

Only problem is, i'll have to wait a whole month,

before i can purchase those ATmel AVR's.

Since i lost my job, moneys been hard to come by.

So..looks like you're gonna finish before me.

Looks like it yeah.

Only problem is, i'll have to wait a whole month,

before i can purchase those ATmel AVR's.

Since i lost my job, moneys been hard to come by.

So..looks like you're gonna finish before me.

nah, i'll wait for you! ;D  i've got a big move in 3 weeks and i'm working on other projects, so it'll be a little while.  good luck with the job man.  that's rough, but with an attitude like yours, i think you'll be just fine. ;D

BTW swinkels, have you thought about using another AVR variant? The 8515 is one of the really ancient oldsters in Atmel's portfolio - e.g. the ATMega 164P has twice the flash memory and can officially be clocked at 20MHz, which also would give a better feeling when overclocking it to 24 MHz. Another good one would be the 88P/168P/328P series, which is like the 164P but in space saving DIP28 package. Both have nearly double RAM size (1k, 328P even 2k)which could come handy when new features are implemented.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem in buying or flashing 8515s, just this project has now come to a point where PCBs are laid out and a lot of people will probably soon start building it. So I'd find it a good idea to switch to a more modern (or even smaller) AVR now instead of being forced to in one or two years if Atmel decides against producing such an old device any longer.

S

• 2 weeks later...

ATMEGA8518 is really not so ancient as you think. Its memory is filled in a half only so there is no real need for switching now. This AVR has one advantage over new ones - three additional I/O pins used to transfer data with slave AVR in SwinSID X2. They are used in the latest SwinSID 1024 too. Switching to smaller AVR limits us to single AVR only.

I can see only one real succesor of the ATMega8515 - ATMega162. It has the same pinout but twice the RAM and ROM memory.