Moog 960 Sequencer MIDIbox?

Peake

Hi, newb question here...

The Moog is a beautiful thing; I hope that someone who knows coding might be interested in creating a PIC-based clone.

Pretty please?

http://algoart.com/tutorials/sequencers/introduction.htm

The synthesizers.com 960 clone page offers info on its functionality. I'm not posting a direct link due to this concept being a bit of a conflict of interest with Roger's excellent work.

Basically, the Moog acts as a 3x8 sequencer with a built-in clock (a partial 901 oscillator, unstable and drifty with no Tempco compensation). An external gated (sequential) switch allows selection of 1x16 and 1x24 stages. That would be nice to have as an FP switch.

The most fun occurs with the "chicken beak" three-position switches, which select Skip, Normal, or Stop for each stage. Skip turns stages off as the unit plays. This is audible in Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra", IIRC, and perhaps Encore (live).

The red buttons allow for direct selection of stages to aid setting touchy pitches etc. The oscillator has switched ranges for some reason; this need not be included, and is best excluded to make room for something the Buchla 200 sequencers show to be great fun: a duty cycle control, and a CV in to modulate duty cycle (gate length). You'd definitely want just a touch of noise in the tempo to simulate analog. Would you want to simulate the dips in pitch output occuring from overloaded power supplies? Or the drift in tempo?  ;D

Synthesizers.com have added a reset to (next stage)= 1 function. Important stuff. Gate bussing would also be fun. I know someone who might be able/interested in making front panels, but I'd have to find out.

Regards to the forum and creators!

Edit: A random mode would be killer as would analog addressing (if the seq is stopped, a control voltage selects proportional stages. 0v would be stage 1; a maximum determined input voltage (say 10, which is common these days, or 5 which is a vintage standard on the Moog itself) would select the highest stage. It's a vertical progression. It can be used as a threshold detector (stage trigger out) etc.

I don't know nothing about the MidiBox SEQ or the Moog.

I'm not posting a direct link due to this concept being a bit of a conflict of interest with Roger's excellent work.

... I don't see a reason for a conflict. It seems to me more that you might have a conflict with this. - Why are you doing this concept then, when you think it's not o.k.?  ;)

Greets, Roger

Seems to me the biggest thing would be connecting a 960-like user interface to the current MB-SEQ or MB-808 firmware with the AOUT for output.  Then we could customize the way the software reacts to that interface...

There are a lot of sequencers to emulate.  Have you also checked out the Milton http://www.buzzclick-music.com/about_milton.html or the Klee http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-155.html?

Doug