128 - transmission distance

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Hi there, I am making a 128 - nearly there - and was wondering if anybody could tell me how long the cable can be between a DIN Module and a switch ?

Thanks

Pete

Really no idea. But as the DIN works with a 10k pullup resistor (from 0V to 5V) it should be pretty long. I would guess like 5m and more (and even much more if u use those "geschirmte" cables (german... those cables, where the ground cable surrounds the main one... whatever).

*IF* you have problems you can lower the pullup to 4,7k or even 1k (also I would stick to 10k). But I dont think so.

Just try it out and post it!  ;D

I use a prototyp control glove with 5 m of "shielded" cable connected to a Midibox16 without majors problems .....

But i notice the neons (fluo tubes) introduce some jittering in the signal ... when the glove is close the fluo lamp ..... like a speed LFO ....   :)  ... but not really usefull !!!   ;D

Guest Peter_Bowcott

Thanks for the info - I'm running about ten meters so even sheilding might not sort it out, so I think I'm going to have a bank of relays for the switches, the bigger problem is my 128 doesn't work, but I will be posting a question about that later once I've checked the forum for any clues as to what I have done wrong - right now just working on contingencies for the project.

Pete