Control clips in ableton & recieve feedback

hrmnk

Hi!

I'm planning on building my own midibox for a while and i've been doing a lot of research (on this forum and on ucapps.de). I want to build a controller for my own live performance, using ableton live. I've searched (& found) alot about clip feedback via multicolor leds (a la monodeck) but i couldnt find anyone else who succesfully created a system with led feedback. (i would like different led colors for : clip/no clip/clip playing/clip stopped). One led &play&stop button per channel, scene selection via rotary. I guess this requires additional software on the host computer, programmed in max/msp. Has the monodeck software been released?

Thanks!

oh btw, here's a sketch of what i mean

http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clipcontrolhr6.png

To do those things you don't need to do fancy stuff with max/msp.

You can simply assign MIDI ctrl to Ableton, e.g: per channel start/stop

and scene up and down is also possible. Just use a rotary encoder and assign clockwise turn to up

and counterclockw. to down.

If you really want to have flashy disco leds than take a look at Live API

http://code.google.com/p/liveapi/

Live API can be used as a bridge between Live and Max/Msp and allows you to extract more info

out of Live. (as far as I know this is what Monolake also used)

but the Live API is horribly under supported - little to no documentation, and I couldn't find any developers at all actively developing on the Live API.

From what I gather it's an experiment that got to proof-of-concept stage and not much further.

I'd love to be proved wrong mind you, as I have many ideas to improve ableton's functionality with my box.

but the Live API is horribly under supported - little to no documentation, and I couldn't find any developers at all actively developing on the Live API.

From what I gather it's an experiment that got to proof-of-concept stage and not much further.

I'd love to be proved wrong mind you, as I have many ideas to improve ableton's functionality with my box.

I agree completely. As Live is very popular and people seams very much interested in hacking it it is strange nobody already made something realy useful and accessible for users with not so much of software hacking skills. Seeing Henke using Monodeck without need to look at the screen is my dream of using Live.

I Like using the screen, but only for visual feedback from certain plugins/effects settings. It would be great

if you could really customize the ableton layout so you would only need a 10" screen (or smaller).

As for the controls; You could insert a max/msp patch by using rewire but I don't know if it's

possible to extract clip info etc and send it to your midibox.