sharing buttons between cores

ultra

my setup for my live controller is going to use two cores, and i've been playing around with the best way to get them to share information back and forth.

connecting MI to MO and MO to MI doesn't seem to work, because i get black bars on the screen... there's probably midi feedback or something.

using CAN is a bit beyond me and it's probably too big of a solution for my application.

so i'm wondering it's possible to simply have one switch go to shift register inputs on two din modules, each din module going to a different core.  perhaps using diodes to keep them from interfering?  or would they not interfere at all?

the only information i need to share is basically keypresses (layer and channel select buttons) so any kind of actual data communication isn't really necessary.

i'm going to try this idea anyway, but even if it works i'm wondering if there are some downfalls i should look out for.

thanks,

ultra

edit:  btw both cores will be on the same pcb and will share the same vss path.

What if the layer and channel select buttons were connected to multiple DIN module inputs, one on each Core?

i.e. the physical switch is sensed by both Cores at the same time.

A switch is pulling the DIN input low, if these switches are not in a matrix of some kind then there's no problem with a switch being connected to multiple DIN inputs, either on the same DIN module or separate DIN modules connected to the same or separate Cores, assuming a common 5V/ground.