AIN using pots other 10K + identifying pot rating

jwillans

Hello - I have some existing organ swell shoes that I want to hook up to an AIN which have existing pots.  Two questions:

• Can the AIN be used with pots other than 10K?
  • How do I identify the rating of the pots on the shoes.  These are labelled AB 1270-003 Type J (a google search reveals nothing)?

Many thanks,

James

Can the AIN be used with pots other than 10K?

yes and no, it s not advised but somebody managed to get some result, search the forum, there is plenty of info about this

# How do I identify the rating of the pots on the shoes.  These are labelled AB 1270-003 Type J (a google search reveals nothing)?

with a multimeter and a desoldered pot, my knoledge about organ <0 anyway i know from guitar midi pedals that often special pots are used, for example pots that are using only 100 degrees of rotation for the whole range, or other weird combinations, this "type j" labelling makes me think about that..

http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/pots.php

this guy talks about type j pot in steel guitar and they are surely for the pedals...

hope it helps

EDIT:

ok have a look at these ones, they are type j pots (it may be just the quality; like mil specs or the shaft)

ebay item 230248054977

eb6f_2.JPG

EDIT2:

welll it s not the shaft for sure, other type j

7058_1_b.JPG

EDIT3:

"AB" stands probably for "Allen Bradley"

I've measured the pots and I'm getting 11.31 as the maximum resistance so I guess these are fairly inaccurate 10 ohm.  Should these work okay?

... I think you made a typo. - They should be 10 k-ohm. You should also check if they are linear and not log. Turn the pot to the middle position and check if you measure approx. 5k

Greets, Roger