Questions about my forthcoming 64E

SilverZero

Hi all! I've been lurking for ages, but I'm about to get on this MIDIbox project I've had in my head for a few years. I have a few questions, and I also would love any input people have on my ideas. I've been all over the Wiki, the forums, the main site . . . so hopefully I don't ask something plain and silly.

So here's my plan. I'd like to build a fairly straightforward control surface with 4 DINx4 modules, and populate it with some combination of rotary encoders and buttons (probably mostly encoders, at least 48, and then 32 buttons - though that seems like a lot of buttons). I may or may not have LEDs. I'd also like to include an AINx4 module to allow for a simple input of 1 or more expression pedals (they're just potentiometers, and the advantage is that I can hook up through a simple 1/4" jack).

A few questions:

1) It seems like the only differences between the MIDIbox64 and the MIDIbox64E are at the software level, right? I wanted to build a 64, but then I decided I just wanted rotary pots instead of faders, and then I decided I just wanted detented encoders instead of pots. So now I'm building a 64E, correct?  :)

2) What are the practical applications of rotary encoders with built-in switches? And would using one basically take up 3 digital inputs (2 for the encoder, and then a third for the included button)?

3) If I do add an AINx4 module for pot-based expression pedals, do the analog inputs take the place of digital inputs - encoders or buttons - at the software level? Or can I theoretically have 4 fully-populated DINx4 modules plus the AINx4 module? In other words, does the 64E software technically allow for 64 encoders PLUS up to 64 pots? (I know that would require 4 AINx4 modules, but I'm just trying to figure out any limitations.)

4) If I want to include a jog dial of some sort, is that just another encoder? Where would one even find those sorts of dials?

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

1) 64E now supports analog inputs (pots/faders) too, but I gather that the 64 has more complete support for them. 64 doesn't support encoders at all, so if you want to use them, you're making a 64E

2) Practical applications are up to your imagination ;)

others) See nILS

Great, thanks! As I sit down and start working out what I want, things are just exploding in my head. I think I need to sit down for a few hours with my little M-Audio controller to see what controls I can duplicate and which ones need to be discreet (for example, if I have buttons to select which track in Ableton I'm controlling, can I set it up so that the same knobs will control track-specific parameters based on which track is selected?).

I'm just talking to myself - I'll search and post new topics when I need real guidance. :)

Rather than starting a new topic, I'm hoping this will get noticed here. The wiki pages talk about the 64E MIOS being less "comfortable" with analog pots than the 64 code. Is this strictly true? I mean, when the AIN support was added to the 64E code, is there a weakness or something?

Anybody who has used analog pots with a 64E-based setup, I'd love to hear if you've had any problems. It seems like the two projects could be merged now that the 64E can handle analog input. (?)

Rather than starting a new topic, I'm hoping this will get noticed here. The wiki pages talk about the 64E MIOS being less "comfortable" with analog pots than the 64 code. Is this strictly true? I mean, when the AIN support was added to the 64E code, is there a weakness or something?

Anybody who has used analog pots with a 64E-based setup, I'd love to hear if you've had any problems. It seems like the two projects could be merged now that the 64E can handle analog input. (?)

the deal is about more options and features for pots available to MB64, pots will work flawlessly in MB64E, read MB64 andMB64E pages to know about the differences