Newbie question

Guest eBetan

Guest eBetan

OK...I just wanted to confirm before I order the parts and stuff (I am still in the design phase of my box)

a rotary encoder takes up 2 digital inputs right (2 out of 64 or 128 as opposed to one for a button)

AND...I was planning to upgrade the 8 faders in my design (later on) to motorfaders.  I realize this would require a second core (alof of knobs, and wanted an unmotorized master volume fader)  is there any way to control this second fader from the same lcd?...would I have to give it a seperate bankstick and all that if I want to change the configuration of the box (ie switch from using the faders in Sonar to controling pad volumes in my drum sampler for instance (the dr008 or sr202)...just an example) Namely, these faders would not switch assignments with the other modules in the box anymore?...dont know how big an impact this would be....just confirming my limitations....also, I was planning on using mios with the 128 din, 128 dout, and 64 ain configuration...is that as solid as loading any other firmware?...or is that still alpha/beta?

Thanks everybody!...especially you TK!

Elliot

Hi Elliot,

yes, a rotary encoder allocates 2 DIN pins, therefore "only" 64 encoders can be handled by one core module. In parallel this core could also handle 8 motorfaders or 64 non-motorized faders by using 2 AINX4 modules. However, this isn't your requirement.

So, some words to the mutlicore-solution: maybe the port of MB64 will simplify the realization of a solution like discusses here: http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1047922838

but so long as I haven't started with this work I cannot provide further details. And please also keep in mind that for a complete customization you need to learn PIC programming in order to modify the application for your needs.

The 128 DIN/128 DOUT/64 AIN application is one of the most stable ones ;-)

The encoder driver has been improved in MIOS V1.3 (additional speed modes, release maybe tomorrow)

The MF driver runs fine with Alps motorfaders, but currently it's unclear if it runs as well with panasonic faders.

Best Regards, Thorsten.