Tascam MM-RC Conversion to Midibox

Narwhal

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what "blog this sucker" really means, but I will gather all the info into one place when I get done.. right now I'm too stressed.  I now officially have two weeks to get this doing what I need it to do.  More on that later  :-X

For now, here is a tasty video of the current state.

• 11 months later...

If anyone else is interested in tinkering with one of these, someone just posted on

that they have two MM-RC's for sale in the LA area.  The units are completely hackable and the hi-resolution encoder alone sells for $50 which was the price of the unit for me.  Good stuff.

Mine is currently all wrapped up with 4 external relays and a primitive sequencer ready to control solenoid on a flame thrower that never got assembled.

• 2 years later...

Hey,

is anyone able to see photos or attachments in this thread? I'm logged in but can't see anything, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I grabbed a MM-RC off ebay for cheap and would like to mess around with it, and the schematic and the pics would really be useful as a starting point..

Hey,

is anyone able to see photos or attachments in this thread? I'm logged in but can't see anything, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I grabbed a MM-RC off ebay for cheap and would like to mess around with it, and the schematic and the pics would really be useful as a starting point..

The photos seems to have been lost in one of the forum conversions.

Here is my Flickr set on the MM-RC. I'll see if I can dig up the eagle schematic that I was working on, but it's on a PC laptop that I user very very rarely.

• 3 months later...

Some progress with my Tascam project:

I replaced the main pcb with a self etched one. I didn't want to do it from scratch, so I just took the already existing designs, put them all on the board and connected them via ribbon cables. This also gave me the chance to try different connections easily.

- Core8

- DINX4

- DOUTX4

- Bankstick 2x

- PSU Section from original board

- 2x ribbon cable connectors for the two control surface boards

I also put a Midisport 1x1 USB interface in there.

So I did a few tests: I uploaded

- MIDIO128 for big buttons (connected directly to DIN/DOUT) and the encoder (works)

- scan matrix example (works with the lower buttons)

- stribe project (leds light up).

so far so good.

On the hardware-side I only have to put the 7segment leds onto the pcb.

As a programming newbie I still have to find out how to put all these functions into one program. And how to make the scan matrix work with more than 8x8...

=====

Uups?!?

i can suddenly see all of Narwahl's photos, for the first time!!

maybe it's because I've added new pics to this threat?

anyway, great!

post-6075-0-88489700-1331002227_thumb.jp

post-6075-0-25373200-1331002266_thumb.jp

post-6075-0-59581700-1331002308_thumb.jp

post-6075-0-88049700-1331002339_thumb.jp

post-6075-0-45231000-1331002363_thumb.jp

post-6075-0-42061300-1331002410_thumb.jp

Edited by rvlt