SRAM and driver chat was: Kicad CORE project

I'm finishing the driver module now... I was going to wait until it was all final and hardware tested before I posted the schems and layout and such but I'll fire them off when the driver is done if you like? (IE, tonight/tomorrow)

I used the hierarchical sheets in kicad for the different parts of the schem, it's quite cool.... I have a sheet for the SRAM, with a pair of latches for the addressing; a sheet for the arbiter chip, and a sheet for the bank of 4066's used as a bidirectional buss isolator. Each sheet appears on the top layer of the schematic looking as though it is a single component, which makes it easier to wire it up. I probably could have used it to greater effect but it was a cool thing to have... You'll see what I mean soon :)

Hehe, I've been thinking about a "driver" for my SRAM implementation as well, but the concept of "driver" is still a bit over my head. I tried to look into the J5_IO module implementation, but as I am not a programmer the formalisms involved seemed too complicated to me.

Also, I'd be interested why you chose the 4066 (as they are "4-bit" only)? But I guess we are hijacking this thread already...

Well for the driver, I've done some of the work for you...

Example app and

Driver Skeleton

This is really bare-bones, it's just to give you and idea of how the driver makes its functions and variables available to the app, and vice versa. It will actually compile but it doesn't do much ;)

The idea is, that you can search the files for the string "mod_skel" and you'll find everything you need to change.

If I were you, I'd hang out for a bit and just mod my driver hehehe. The hardware implementation differs only slightly from yours, and I'm including some higher-layer functions as well which you may like to use or you may like to dice out.

4066 was for two reasons: It's thru-hole, and I could actually buy them locally ;) It played a part that the board was originally going to be stackable with the ultracore and also has the arbiter chip onboard, so board size wasn't an issue. When I have the app fully working, I may make an all-in-one board with all SMD parts, and then I'l be checking for 3245's again...