LCD+Core+MB64 Only squares are displayed and no text

intellijel

I have a smashtv core module with the latest bootloader and MB64 loaded onto it. The MIOS studio is showing a steady stream of sysex messages received so I assume the board is operating.

However the LCD screen only displays a row of white squares. I tried sending text to it via MIOS studio with no luck. It also displays no text on startup, just straight to squares. I tried adjusting the luminence and contrast of the lcd but only the contrast pot seems to have an effect.

Do I need to have any of the input pins grounded on the core to test the LCD? Possible fault in my core? lcd cable?

I hope I am missing something obvious because this LCD screen+cable worked on another one of my cores.

cheers,

Danjel

I have a smashtv core module with the latest bootloader and MB64 loaded onto it. The MIOS studio is showing a steady stream of sysex messages received so I assume the board is operating.

However the LCD screen only displays a row of white squares. I tried sending text to it via MIOS studio with no luck. It also displays no text on startup, just straight to squares. I tried adjusting the luminence and contrast of the lcd but only the contrast pot seems to have an effect.

Do I need to have any of the input pins grounded on the core to test the LCD? Possible fault in my core? lcd cable?

I hope I am missing something obvious because this LCD screen+cable worked on another one of my cores.

This sounds a lot like a PIC that only has the bootloader in it and nothing else.  I had one of these last weekend that I was dealing with.

If you are sure that Smash uploaded MIOS and the MB64 app code to the pic, then you definitely should be looking at the LCD wiring.  Use a multimeter to check continuity between each of the pins on the core to each of the pins on the LCD.. This should tell you if you have a good connection there.

Don't panic if it turns out that all you have is the bootloader.. it's very easy to send MIOS, then send the MB64 via Midi using MIOS Studio.