YMF262-M Revisions

guiseppi

Hello. First post.

Question is: Is there any info on the Revisions/Version differences of the YMF262-M and is there any significant changes or improvements in later versions?

I ask, because I have, as most probably do, two YMF chips to get the two DACs and obviously each has a different code on it.

They are:

9211 EAYC (this one is already installed on my as yet unfinished FM)

9511 FAFC

I take it the 9211/9511 is the year/month code..

Is newer better for these?

Cheers.

Thanks. Won't be desoldering now. Still undecided on the layout and finish for the FM.

I'm not planning a pair tho  :)

I just ordered a 40x2 LCD, the most expensive single part so far, but still just over £10. It's another EL backlight, but I'm used to them now.

My Midibox SID with one 6581, but room for two or more is almost, nearly, close, just about finished. I'll try and post some piccies, but as a preview, hand tooled; it is a minimal (Step A) built into a cut 'n' shut C64 breadbox about 18 cm wide upholstered in deep red leather, 2x20 LCD blue EL mounted on a 2.5mm brass plate with a brass plate for the rear power switch, audio jacks and bankstick.. MIDI ports and CBM power supply socket mounted below on the leather.

It will eventually have wood, metal or other material as a base and ends.

Dont like to waste stuff :)

I used polystyrene caps for the Filters in the SID and it sounds better than I remember it in the 80's. Foggy memories..

I just ordered a 40x2 LCD, the most expensive single part so far, but still just over £10. It's another EL backlight, but I'm used to them now.

What are you going to use to drive it, can you share the schemes? Is there a problem with noise?

G

• 1 month later...

I have a few circuits for EL:

One scavenged from a toy EL rope/string thing.

PC Mod kits with either rope/string EL or Tape kits (cheaper than buying an inverter generally) Like these:

http://tinyurl.com/3wfwbs

I've just received the red tape, but it is closer to bright pink! Hmmm :)

I can confirm that the EL power supply is almost completely silent with two different normal backlights, with a variable voltage of, say, between 4-12v, a good range of brightness can be had.

It is encapsulated, or potted in a plastic shell about 45mm x 26mm with a self adhesive foam pad in place.

Not super cheap as in near free, but it does have 2 EL connectors, so you could power 2 backlights (MB seq) or use the mod tape as well for some flashy light strips on or inside your project.

I shall buy more of these in the future for EL BL, I've tried a few other ones that were noisy.

I also made a circuit with a very small VA transformer, about 240v->12v, reversed and wired up to a 555 timer circuit with adjustable PWM triggering a power transistor to drive it.

The one I made, even though I stuck to the recommended freq. etc. is loud.

I toned down the noise to bearable levels by reducing voltage, but this also reduces brightness..

This noise is not transferred into the synth sound at all.

It's just a bit annoying, but not as loud as the noise the Yamaha A3000 makes, which is louder than the PC tower..

I'm not whining now (aiiiee)

:)