renamed: Adjusting EVENT ASP8 from 110V to work on 220V

Kartoshka

Peeps, a question to all ya audio electronics and electricity majoring freaks.

I got pair of EVENT ASP8 powered monitors, bought off from usa (free shipping! that's the reason)

The guts are:

110v with power requirement of 300W (written on each monitor's back)

The only problem is that we have here 220V....  :P and monitors are programmed to be working in US/Canada area.

In enclosed manual, 200VA stated to be normal (attached below).

manual available online says even 100VA being satisfying power requirements.

Now, i have 2 options to help it performing locally:

1. replacement of the original transformer inside monitors, which doesn't count now.

2. making use of custom stepdown transformer

Currently I have 750VA(!) stepdown transformer, 220-to-110, single unit for both monitors (pictured).

up-step-down-transformer.jpg

My question: is this one is ok for my application and which working temperature of this transformer is considered to be normal, for that matter.

Plugged to 220V, after about a hour it already gets VERY hot - that much so you're not able to hold it in your hands. And this without being plugged to anything else.

Is this normal? ..... This is my second supply of these types; first was replaced due to low VA (200).

Every advice regarding the issue, such as spitting some ice on top,  :P or placing it in a lead 'shielding' enclosure/getting another type (lower noise?) transformer and alike is more than welcome.

3472_Untitled-9_jpga4dba9b67cf54c1c9da7b

today i  changed the wiring and replaced the fuse.

It worked.  ;)

So for future generations, if you're buying EVENT ASP8 monitors from North America and happily living within 220-240V area, keep smiling. You can adjust these sweeties to work from your local voltage... in ONE step. Mod length: 5 mins.

1. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

things you will need: F4AL250V fuse. You can also use T4AL250V.

Philips screwdriver.

Any sharp blade like knife, to open decorative black plastics around metal plate on the read side of the monitor.

? Don't be scared to open the monitor.

? Identify brown wire coming from the internal transformer and trace it to end in J14 connector on the pcb.

Replace it with blue one, it's coming from transformer, too. This wire must be hidden inside.

? Replace original fuse (on the pcb) with one you bought.

? Seal the monitor back.

Done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------