YAMAHA DX-7 II MIDIFICATION

dcreatorx

Hi guys ! The DX-7 it's a very famous synth cause it was cheaper and did great succes on its time. Nice FM sounds you can get from it. But it's very difficult to program ! So many FM operators and variables to operate only by a LCD screen and 1 slider !!! Do you know if it's possible to program the DX-7 with a knob control surface attached ?  ? I meant to assign each operator value to a knob to program it in a similar way of an analog synth. Thanks !

Well, this isn't midification - the DX7 already has midi support. What you're talking about is a knob control box, basically it's an MB64 or similar. I fixed the topic (and your capslock problem, you should look into that) and moved it for ya.

A quick google search confirmed my suspicions - it only responds to a few CC's... Controlling via sysex is slow and on synths of that generation there would ofen be total dropouts when recieving sysex.... which leaves you with a few options:

Control limited things with CC's

- it already has a modwheel etc for that. Not worth it.

Control via sysex

- timing will not be realtime. Not worth it.

Control one parameter at a time with the wodwheel, and use sysex to map the modwheel to a certain parameter

- if that's even possible (check your manual) it'll be useful for changing one parameter at a time, so long as you don't want to change that parameter in realtime.... and then, you could do that within the patch and use the modwheel, so again....Not worth it.

Just my 2c (based on several assumptions)

Ok, just to clarify . . . I don't want to play the synth on real time, I want only to program it. Will that be impossible too ?

I heard that the later DX-7 versions, DX-7 II, DX-7 II FD, have better MIDI specification. Yet not worth ?

That commercial controller is really cool. Shame it's so expensive and discontinued.

I guess you'll have to do some more research yourself! Get the MIDI specs and decide for yourself. Working with SysEx data can be a PITA, but then, some people enjoy that  ;D. Personally, I think this is possible without too much of a hassle - SysEx is no magic, but you will need a decent documentation of the DX7's MIDI implementation / specs. Without that, don't even think of starting your project.

Best regards, ilmenator

Ok, I have the implementation chart. I can buy a Behringer bcr2000 tomorrow. Will you help me if I have some doubts ?

So, do you know how the checksums are computed? (Does Yamaha use checksums at all, btw? I remember that Roland has/had a pretty ugly checksum scheme in place... bah).

I am not sure if I can be much of a help, having neither the DX nor the BCR. So this is going to be rather theoretical help, but I could try. Still, my advice would be to try it without investing in a BCR first. Use MIDI-OX to create some SysEx messages according to your implementation chart and see what happens.

Also, I am quite irritated by the fact you want to use the BCR - aren't we a DIY community, after all?  ;D A C language based MIDIbox would be the ideal thing. This way, you start small, try your code with only four or so pots / rotary encoders, and then when the basics are up and running you can extend.

Best regards, ilmenator

PS: You might want to look at the MIDIbox UC - unfortunately, the PC software has not progressed, so it is of limited functionality as of now. If you have some JAVA skills you might want to look at this, as it can do all that your box would need to do, and the same for all of your synths...

I don't want to contradict you, but with the DX-7 II synth ( the one I own ) I did some realtime changes with the built-in fader, and yes . . . the engine stop the sound for less than a second when you do a change, but that's enough for programming " faster ". Real time modification for live performances and so, it's impossible. Tha'ts true.