Extend DIN to monitor 256 digital inputs?

wackazong

Hi,

I am in the process of making (and soon hopefully documenting...) a button matrix of 256 buttons, each one with its own RGB LED, which can be controlled via MIDI. At the moment I am wondering whether it would be possible and feasible to route 256 digital inputs via DIN-Modules into one core. I can control 256 LEDs with one core (via I2C, working beautifully), the maximum number of 128 digital inputs would be the only reason that I need another core and the MBLink feature. I am shure this would work, but it would mean more systems, more interfaces, and more hardware.

I cannot easily use a button matrix because of the modular setup of my pcbs, the matrix is more complicated regarding routing, and my routing is already very complicated (I am already forced to use a 4-layer pcb). So, if it is possible and can be done with acceptable latency (>100Hz) then I would like to reprogram the corresponding MIOS routine to support 256 buttons.

Any tips for me? Thanks!

ALEXander.

To explain my situation, why redesigning the pcb does not make much sense:

I have a pcb which supports 16 buttons and 16 rgb leds. The 16 buttons are connected to a DIN module with two shift registers. This pcb is intended to be chained together to form a button matrix of almost any (well, up to 256 buttons it should be) size. If I use the normal DIN concept, I just need three wires running from board to board, which is extremely convenient. This would not be possible with a matrix solution.

So, what do you think I should do in this situation?

Thanks, ALEXander.

OK, but three wires is better than 6, right? I have two other wires for I2C already, and I need to connect a lot of modules, therefore I think to reduce EMI and all that it would be good to keep wires to a minimum.

How hard would it be to modify the DIN module to accept 256 inputs? Or is it not feasible due to some technical reason (interference, cable length, speed, ...)?

well, i'm no expert at this stuff, but i think the only practical way is to roll your own srio.

an example of this is the fast scan matrix example on uCApps.

you could modify mios, but that way leads to madness...

(however, looking at the src is always informative)