Encoders QNQ

Guest Xcen

(Quick Noobie Question)

Reading about how the encoders pos. is displayed on the LCD I'm starting to consider using encoders instead of pots...

Question is, if I base my design on the mb64, will I be able to use, say, one DIN module for 8 encoders and one AIN module for 8 faders?

Can I put my digital buttons and my encoders on the same DIN?

TIA!

If you want to do that, you would have to use MIOS. There you can assign every single DIN Pin to a certain event (e.g. Encoder or Button like you said).

The same is for that Encoder&Fader thing: Only with MIOS. The "normal" MB64 Firmware is based on pots. If you would just connect the Encoders to the DINs, the PIC would think youre pushing buttons all along.

If you want to have several setups (and so perhaps using Serges VMidibox), you should stick to the normal pots.

But if you really want to mix that stuff, go up to MIOS, its fun programming that stuff (and not hard anyhow).

What I want is to be able to assign a CC # (If I understand how midi works correctly) to each controllers (encoders, buttons and faders...) so I can route their values to my software (ie. having the RESO knob on my soft synth assigned to the first encoder while having the 1st digtal button assigned to MUTE for a sample player and the first fader as a cross-fader between to different sample player). In that case, I guess I should use MIOS right?

That'd be cool though, I was looking forward to use MIOS :)

;D Yepp, MIOS is cool...

You understood everything just fine. With Serges VMidibox the editing, which pot is sending which CC is just very comfortable. But anyhow, if you seldomly will change the CC values, MIOS is very fine.

You can even upgrade your stuff later on and use a bankstick for different setups. But in the moment you just have to send the different CC Configs via Sysex, and thats a little uncomfortable. But I´m sure there will be more stuff for that in some time.

With MIOS you could also programm a second layer of all your pots and so on and just switch to it with a shift button. Just read about the LC Clone if you want to know more about that.

Regards.

Ok I'll try to find the thread about the LC thing (I won't be using logic though.. at least not for now)

Am I right to think that I could change all controllers setup by switching banksticks?

Anywayz, I doubt I will ever have to change the CC# with the setup I currently use...

Hmm ok then I'll go for mios and read the LC thread :) Good thing I ordered a PIC18F with my 16F hehe

One more thing: what app will I be using... as I understand it I would have to design my own or wait for a previous MB project to be ported to mios, is that correct?

Hope I'm not asking too many "dumb" questions :)

Yeah I took a look at those... I'm gonna see what I can make up from all that and I'll prolly post a new thread so I can complete my design :) thanks!