UK Parts/Parts List

reincarnate

Hey Guys

HELP!!!

I've been trying to put an order together from Farnell - probably a big order (if I can get there  ;)) - couple of cores, DIN, DOUT, AIN, SID, LTC.

Basically I'm confused  ???.  I've started with stuff that I expected to be simple, but it just isn't!  I've tried searching on things like "D Connector" etc.  In this case I had so many results (and few pictures) that I couldn't work out which one to get (even when I got what I thought I needed, there appeared no way to specify 25D or 9D socket).  When I try searching on other things (e.g. SIL Header) I get no results.  Searching on SIL returns 694 results, most of which without pictures.  Again same problem.

Can anyone help me on how they have managed with this?  I think part of the problem is that the site is particularly un-user friendly.  Crownhill doesn't have the range of components.  I've considered Maplin, which appears more user friendly, or perhaps RS Components.

One more thing (what, more???).  Can anyone tell me how to specify the IC sockets?  I've realised that I've got quite a few chips of different sizes already, and the sockets don't just get longer, they also get wider :-)

If I'm missing something or if there's a Farnell part list on the uCapps site (haven't found it!) please let me know!

Thanks

Steve

Ah-ha,

So I think when ordering IC Sockets, the 0.6" refers to the width, and the number of pins refers to the length, so that 0.6" 40 way would be required for the PIC, and (if required) 0.3" 8 way would be required for the EEPROM chips 24LC256....

...it's very quiet in here...am I the only one here? HeHe better get another can out of the fridge  :)

Hope someone else finds this useful

Sorry, just realised I've posted all this in the wrong topics.

Steve...

Dont fret! I was asking the same q's around 400 posts ago ;p...

Best place I've found so far (here in the UK) is Rapid Electronics - good value and they stock everything required...

Failing that, order from Reicfelt - i have a cpl of times. It's much cheaper, very fast (& cheap) shipping rates and a freindly service. Just email to export@...

And you right about the farnel site - terrible navigation, I gave up on em...

best...

Dan

Thanks Dan.  I managed last night to specify 11 items out of 14 for the JDM programmer, in only 3.5 HOURS!!!!!  It took me an hour alone to specify the D-Sub, and I'm still not sure If I managed to specify one with the screw in anchor points for the male D.

I will check out both of your recommendations - I could get them from Reichelt and get them sent to my German address to save me cash and postage.

I left some feedback with Farnell...it was polite.  It will be interesting to see what they say.

Thanks again

Steve

;D ;D ;D

Just managed to order parts for 2 x Core, 2 x Din, 2 x Dout, 2 x Ain, 2 x LTC, 1 x JDM, 1 x SID at Reichelt in less time than it took me to order 11 parts at Farnell.  70 Euros!! (PICs and power transformers I already have).  Just hope they are there when I arrive in Germany this weekend  ;D ;D

I guess the lesson is....forget Farnell...

Steve

I usually get all the fiddly bits from a local retail electronics supplier, often they are cheaper than Farnell(was it the online ordering that took so long?) anyway. Then you can show them the pcb, and they will help you find the bits that will fit. (try to go during an off-peak time, when they have time to help you. These stores are also handy for when you forget to order a small part, like a diode, or fuse or something.

byeSteve, from Steve!

Hi ya stephen

I'm also having a lot of trouble ordering parts from the uk , it would be really nice if someone would kindlly put a copy of there ordering form on these pages for Reichelt . At least for all the standard stuff i understand the whole concept is for people to develop and design but a order list for the core components would be really helpfull, so that people only had to decide what buttons led's sliders and knobs they wanted use. Sorry if this sounds lazzy but it would free up a  lot peoples time to do more of the fun bit devlopping.

On another note could anyone tell me ware i can get alps motor faders and encoders from in the uk I know rs do them but they don't supply to end users.....

Thanks again to all the hard work thats gone into this amazing project... ;)

jed

Ah, Obi Wan has taught you well.....

Thorsten has already taken care of it.  If you look under MB Hardware Platform on the navigatgion bar on the left on the uCapps site and click on an individual unit (e.g. Core Module), there is a section called "Used Components".  Here Thorsten has put a link to his Reichelt order list.  I think there is one for every module.

Here's the link directly to the USB order list as an example of what they are like

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_usb_orderlist.txt

I was going to get an order lists together for Farnell, but this was going to take me 3 days, and I think it would still take that amount of time for anyone to order from them!

Don't know about the motor faders, but search on this forum because theres been a lot of talk about it.

Steve

Yeah, ordering online was like painting the hallway through the letterbox.

S.

he he ;D you just made me laugh out loud!

here is your last post, so as not to bump it out of the way!

Ah, Obi Wan has taught you well.....

Thorsten has already taken care of it.  If you look under MB Hardware Platform on the navigatgion bar on the left on the uCapps site and click on an individual unit (e.g. Core Module), there is a section called "Used Components".  Here Thorsten has put a link to his Reichelt order list.  I think there is one for every module.

Here's the link directly to the USB order list as an example of what they are like

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_usb_orderlist.txt

I was going to get an order lists together for Farnell, but this was going to take me 3 days, and I think it would still take that amount of time for anyone to order from them!

Don't know about the motor faders, but search on this forum because theres been a lot of talk about it.

Steve  

On another note could anyone tell me ware i can get alps motor faders and encoders from in the uk I know rs do them but they don't supply to end users.....

where did Thorsten get his from? other than that, check out the alps vs panasonic thread

bye, from Steve C (not Wilton)