C++ programming books

madox

Hi folks,

I have started a new job recently (as mentioned in a similar thread), have found my self needing to learn C++ programming, and am looking for advice on good learning resources.

The sole software developer in my department has just resigned, and I have been asked to take over a section of his job. I have previously done some ANSII C programming, and Java programming in uni, but not for a while, and not really to the extent of a software engineer/programmer. My recent programming experience is more in assembly, and most of my (limited) experience is in hardware.

I will be developing applications and drivers for Windows CE based embedded systems.

My plan is to spend some time learning C++ in a general way, before delving into the application.

I am looking for at least one good printed text, from which to base most of my work, and will of course use online references as well. I think finding good online references should be easy enough, but if anyone could recommend some really good books, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

madox

edit- spelling

Windows CE, eh?  For CE programming, don't overlook the Microsoft Press books - they are very good.  I used to write programs for Windows 98, and I still have the books by Petzold, Prosise and Richter...

As for C++ itself, my book collection may be a bit dated since I started C++ programming in the early 1990's ;) but I started with Stan Lippman's C++ Primer.  You may also like Deitel and Deitel's "C++ How to Program".  I also have Stroustrup's C++ Programming Language for reference.

There are a bunch of other books that I've used off and on over the years:

Scott Meyers: Effective C++

Scott Meyers: More Effective C++

James Coplien: Advanced C++ Programming Styles and Idioms

Koenig & Moo: Ruminations on C++

Lippman: C++ Gems

When you want to learn more about the history and design of the language, check out:

Stroustrup: The Design and Evolution of C++

Lippman: Inside the C++ Object Model

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the references. The Microsoft Press books definitely sound interesting. I will look them up. I am planning on signing up for MSDN membership too.

Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language has now been recommended to me by a few people.

Just for the record, if anyone else is interested in this, here a few other references which have been recommended to me:

C++ Programming For Technology, Cooper, Boyer

Thinking In C++, Volumes 1 and 2, Bruce Eckel

C++ In Plain English, Brian Overland

Cooper and Boyer's book is of interest to me, as it deals with electronics applications. Eckel offers his texts as free e-books, and also hosts them online in html, and these also seem pretty decent. I have used Overland's book on ANSII C, and found it handy to have on my desk as a dictionary of functions; I expect his C++ book will be similar.

Thanks again Doug. Your references are much appreciated.

madox

P.S. Is your background in both hardware and software development? You seem to have experience in a few fields; mechanical design, machine tools, software development, electronics,... You seem quite the versatile technologist. I'm guessing you're an Engineer by profession?

Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language has now been recommended to me by a few people.

Well, he *DID* come up with the language, after all...  ;)  A couple of our CS types here at work got a chance to go see him talk at a recent seminar, so they're now all converts.  Of course, there are a couple other guys here who hate C++, so the hallway conversations have been quite interesting!

P.S. Is your background in both hardware and software development? You seem to have experience in a few fields; mechanical design, machine tools, software development, electronics,... You seem quite the versatile technologist. I'm guessing you're an Engineer by profession?

Well, I always wanted to be an engineer...  :)

I started out as a mechanic back in the 1970's, and then worked as a machinist for a couple years after a stint in the USAF.  I worked my way up to general manager of the shop, and realized that we had grown too big for the owner to keep everything in his head, so I bought a computer and started tracking inventory and production schedules.  The shop was overextended and not making deadlines, plus I realized that I preferred working with the computer, so I quit the machine shop in 1987 and moved to Tucson to start my computer career, working my way up from installer, to programmer, to system administrator.

A few years ago, I realized that I really missed the tangibility of working with my hands, making things, and a Woodcraft store just happened to be opening up a couple miles from my house, so I bought a bunch of big tools (jointer, planer, table saw, etc) and started making sawdust.  About the time I was putting together my wood shop, I also decided to get back into music electronics.  (I forgot to mention that I had started building Heathkits back in the 1970's and that I had repaired and hot-rodded tube amps in the 90's - wow, I just looked and found the first edition of my tube amp newsletter online!  http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/tame.txt  Man, that's got to be at least 15 years old!  And while I'm walking memory lane - I wrote up the first slap bass lessons on the Internet - you can still find the first three at: http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Lessons/  1993, baby!)  Anyway, I bought a few MOTM, Blacet and Oakley kits, and started soldering.  Somehow I ended up finding the x0xb0x, and that lead me to the MB-808, which lead me back here to MIDIbox land.  And at some point, I realized I wanted to put together my own designs, so I bought Eagle, various design books, etc.  Then I started organizing group buys and farming out prototype work, and I quickly found out that I could do a better job if I bought my own machine tools.  So here we are...!

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the great stories about your life. Sounds like you enjoy your work, and really commit to what you want to do. Much respect for that.

I also really like both the technical and hands on sides of my work. I graduated form uni a couple of years ago. My first two jobs have both involved a fair bit of hands on prototyping, which I like. I can then submit my CAD drawings for manufacturing, which I enjoy too, as my hands on machining is far from professional.

I still stuggle with some aspects of electronics. I tend to get quite a few tasks of designing magical interfaces that can plug into anything, and the tradeoffs always take quite some consideration. Being put into software development now is quite a nice turn out for me, as I've always found that interesting too.

I can really believe Stoustrom having a strong following. He has some rather bold and interesting quotes published online.

I used to try to teach myself bass guitar. I love slap bass (Michael "Flea" Balzary, Les Claypool, and Stuart Ham come to mind), but I didn't manage to develop much skill in that instrument. Perhaps if I had read your lessons...

Cheers dude,

madox