Midio 128 din not working?

cogsmech

Hi folks, I tried not to come here but I'm lost. Please help! Ok, I've got a core hooked to just one din for now to try to get familiar with the system. I built the boards a week or so ago and couldn't get it working. I am a total newbie. I do have many hours in the forum and other places starting befor I even ordered the parts from smash tv. Initially I thought the problem was the octocoupler from some reading and the fact that I accidentally soldered it in without the socket. I bought 3 new octos from mouser and have tried two so I don't think that's the problem. Everything appears to be ok to me except that shorting the pins does nothing, even tried another din. Here's what I have on power up in midiox (no lcd)                  TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT             

001ADBCB  1  1    F0  Buffer:    2 Bytes  System Exclusive     

SYSX: F0 F7

001ADBCD  1  1    F0  Buffer:    8 Bytes  System Exclusive     

SYSX: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

Is this normal? I pretty much followed the midio mysteries pdf plus the diagrams on the smash tv site and have used the original (sample) ini . I followed the troubleshooting as much as I can ( I'm not a technician) I have a beautiful 32 note pedalboard just begging to come to life!! Please, please help!! Thank you very much, Conrad

Hi folks, I tried not to come here

Why? :-[ everyone's welcome here! :D

Firstly - the optocoupler has nothing to do with the DINs, or vice versa. Let's disconnect the DIN module, and just work on the core and it's MIDI in/outs. First thing is to follow the midi troubleshooting process on ucapps.de (follow my signature) and post your results.... I'll wait :)

Hello sir, I know I'm supposed to go as far as I can before I ask for help is all and all the posts I see everyone seems so smart. Ok well thank you very, very much for the reply.                                                                              test prog 1. not sure what that means.  test core 1, yes but is it right? # is a100abc, does polarity matter? test core 2, N/A? brand new from smash. test core 3, checked and checked and checked, I haven't done much electronics soldering but I do plenty of copper pipe silver soldering and understand how it flows, I think I did a pretty good job! also checked some with a continuity tester. test core 4, all checks out at 5.06 test core 5, all checks at 5.06 except j3, I cant find it. test core 6, this is where I started having problems, I,m not sure how to do this, I don,t get voltage when checked between the two points indicated. test core 7, I get .-0.16 one way and 0.20 the other way, not sure if I'm doing this right. test core 8, both about 217 test core 9, check test core 10, I don't get excess messages test core 11, cap is soldered well, I don't have a spare plus I haven't got a message like that test out 1, I have leds on my usb adaptor and they both flash ( tascam us 122l) I don't have any others test out 2, should I disconnect this? test pc 1, appears to be fine test pc 2, not sure what the settings should be, tried 256 and 512 and 60 ms. I'm kinda out of time right now. Am I going in the right direction? Thank you very much for your time, Conrad

( tascam us 122l)

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midi_interface_blacklist

Damn. That's a problem.... You're going to need another interface.

test core 6, this is where I started having problems, I,m not sure how to do this, I don,t get voltage when checked between the two points indicated.

The idea there is just to make sure you soldered the plugs to the PCB correctly. If you have a smashtv core and have soldered the socket directly to the board, it's correct.

test core 7, I get .-0.16 one way and 0.20 the other way, not sure if I'm doing this right.

Again this is just to confirm you have it inserted in the correct direction.

test out 2, should I disconnect this?

nope don't worry about that

test pc 2, not sure what the settings should be, tried 256 and 512 and 60 ms. I'm kinda out of time right now. Am I going in the right direction?

You're going in the right direction. When you complete test pc2 by sending sysex, you will find that the interface does not recieve the same as what you send. This is why the interface you have is in the blacklist. Hopefully it is still within warranty, and you can ask for a refund/replacement.

Once you get past that little hurdle, continue with the remaining tests if you still have trouble.

I haven't seen a "blacklist"

Now you have ;)

Would a regular us 122 work?

I doubt there's much difference, but do the test if you have one handy :)

OT: dioioib, thankyou for updating the blacklist when you found the dud interfaces the other day, it completely slipped my mind. bigup.

Hello and happy holidays!! I'm back and still no midi :( I bought a midisport 1x1, tried several drivers, and the communications still don't appear to match. Actually it seems worse. When I send an upload or sysex, I can't tell if it's working.What am I looking for in midiox and mios studio as far as messages from the midibox? I tried sending the midio 128 syx through the loop back and I'm not getting matched input and output. I'm feeling kinda lost. I even tried using another computer. Please help!!!

Heya mate. Well the midisport is one of the ones the guys here recommend... If you have a physical cable (not a virtual loopback like hubi's) going out of the ms1x1, and looping back to the ms1x1's input, then you should receive exactly what you send....

Sometimes I am getting long strains of control messages in blue and sometimes have to disconnect the midi cable to stop it.

That sounds like a feedback loop. Perhaps you have the PC (mios studio or hubis or something) setup to echo it's input to it's output. Then, you have input --> output --> input --> output --> etc, forever. That's no good.

Still no luck. Should I get note messages after only uploading the midio 128 hex, or does it need the separate ini. file? In which case shouldn't I be more concerned with mios studio than midiox? Thanks!!!

Let's get the midi interface to behave first :)

Perhaps, if the hints above don't help, you could upload a screenshot of your mios studio routing page?

Hello my friend, honestly, I'm feeling totally lost. I don't know hnow to send a screenshot of mios studio, however, the port routing appears to be correct if in goes to in, and out to out. If not I don't know how to change them.

Yes I have an actual cable going from in to out on the midisport, and when I send the Midio128 hex.,I see stuff in the output monitor and not the input monitor.

I don't see what could cause an "echo" as you describe.

I don't know if it helps, but I have recieved ok checksums.

Thanks!!

No sweat mate. Here's how to take a screenshot:

get the thing you want to show me, on screen

hold down ALT, and while holding it, press the 'prt scr' key on your keyboard (then release ALT) (that will copy what you see in the current application, to the clipboard)

Open window's 'Paint' application (pbrush.exe, you should be able to find it in your start menu)

paste into there, and save as .jpg

Then upload the file here :)

Cool :) Your routing is correct. If you are not running any other MIDI software on your PC, then there should not be any feedback loop.

As the midisport is often recommended by others, I would expect it to work... And we know that MIOS Studio works... The only thing that seems to be left out, is the cable.

Just to confirm, can you please paste the text from mios studio's input and output monitor windows, into a new post? I don't want a screenshot, I'd like to paste it into a comparison tool, so I need text - and it's important that it's copy+paste, not read+type :) (There should be far too much to type anyway hehehe)

Edit: I forgot to scroll your screenshot. Derrr. Sorry.

I see it's not receiving *anything* you send. Are you sure that a MIDI cable is connected with one end in the midisport input, and the other end of the cable in the midisport output?