Bankstick gets formatted on every startup

indeep

Hi .

Same problem.

Bought from mike midi shop the bankstick board

Bought 24lc512 i/p from farnell.

So i decided to make a probe with 1 chip on it, the problem maintains (every power off/on another bankstick format) .

i have tried  everything, (changing the lines on J4, testing each chip with a prob) (edit the asm, over and over, closing A0, then closing A1....) nothing as changed, and im out of ideas on what to try next.

i have made a single bankstick and connected directly to J4 on the core.

And re-solder de banksticks board with some bridges .

But i have found some problems regarding the setup.asm file that might give some light on this subject.

Last night i was editing this file (setup_mbseq_v3) to change the CS# adress.

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS0 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS1 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS2 5 ; Mixer Map (using CS2 to ensure compatibility with Atmel EEPROMs which only provide 4 CS addresses)

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS3 4 ; Song mode (using CS3 to ensure compatibility with Atmel EEPROMs which only provide 4 CS addresses)

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS4 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS5 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS6 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS7 2 ; 64k

(this is the default setup)

What i notice during the format of the banksticks is this : apparently  banksticks CS#2 and CS#3 skip the format process, but what is more strange is that, after the format processes all the others CS# it  tries  to upload the songs to this same banksticks over and over again, and dont stop.

After i change the setup to this.

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS0 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS1 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS2 2 ; Mixer Map (using CS2 to ensure compatibility with Atmel EEPROMs which only provide 4 CS addresses)

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS3 2 ; Song mode (using CS3 to ensure compatibility with Atmel EEPROMs which only provide 4 CS addresses)

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS4 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS5 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS6 2 ; 64k

#define DEFAULT_BANKSTICK_MODE_CS7 2 ; 64k

All banksticks are fine and they format (but still have the problem in every start up "formating every power on)

So i came to the conclusion that for some reason my banksticks dont support Mixer Maps Storage and Song Mode Storage.

I bought 10 ic 24lc512, and i have tested all of them in a single probe (so i think the ics are fine),also the banksticks get formated (its not a bankstick ic problem but some other thing).

Maybe my IC are not compatible with mios (24lc512i/p)

I just dont know, i have tried all approaches and the error stills happens .

the banksticks get formated

FWIW, we don't know that. If they aren't successfully formatted, that will explain the re-formatting every time.

As for the core issues... Look for shorts would be my first guess. You might need to do similar to the core as the bankstick module, if the soldering is similar. What voltages do you get on the IIC pins? you could try a resistor+LED on the SD pin to gnd, to see if the core is trying to drive the port...

Wow, 5.8V? This is out of spec, it doesn't wonder me why the EEPROMs are not working stable (hopefully you haven't fried them...)

You should read ca. 5V +/- 0.1V

Please remove all ICs from the sockets (including PIC and SIDs) and check your PSU!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It could be a PSU issue

Funny, that was my first guess (although I was looking for noise)... Damn I must have accidentally cleared my chat logs because I can't find the conversation, but IIRC It was tested with two transformer based PSUs, which were 12V and 9V.... I seem to remember saying 12V was a bit much, and you said it had a heatsink. Maybe it's not big enough ;)

Although, indeep, you didn't tell me 5.8V output when you tested it back then, it was 5.2... 5.8's a touch on the high side, and it's also worry that it's changing.

First thing I'd do, is re-do the voltage test you should have done before stuffing the chips. Power it up with the meter attached, test according to ucapps.de (without the chips in it! search! ) If it's still 5.8, turn it off. Your regulator is cooked...

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the problem  :D

Its all related to the two jump wires on the core mbhp_core_v3_4.jpg

"Two isolated cables have to be added at the bottom of the PCB (see also quickview). They are only required by special modules (e.g. IIC devices, SID module)"

Well after burning my eyes and mind thinking what was wrong with the banksticks i decided to distance myself, and start to build the iic, as soon as i put the two bridges required for the iic, a shinny light bursts my mind..

I reconnected the banksticks and voilá, the banksticks get formatted one time and thats all.

Also the iic midi its good and working.

So for all of those who have problems with the banksticks, just remember to put the two bridges in the core first.

LOL :D

They are only required by special modules

I think that needs to be changed, or better yet, removed. That's the third time this week I've had someone think these wires were optional.... I am not aware of any problem if you do solder them... But if you leave them out........

What do you think TK?