Australia - Anyone had experience with labels / overlays etc

Futureman

Hey fellow Australians.. (I know there is a sh#t load of us)

I need to get a Vinyl or Polycarbonate sticker or overlay made up for my 6582 keyboard... has anyone had experience with this ? Any companies / people used ?

Actually any advice on custom artwork would be handy..

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12413.45/topicseen.html

Regards

Mike

There are a few options i'm investigating..

http://www.digitalstickers.com.au/

-Probably no cutouts, and looks a bit scrappy.

http://www.entechelectronics.com.au/

-Looking expensive

Lazertran is also coming up a very probable contender..

http://www.lazertran.com/products/lazertran_products_original.htm

Apparently there is this product that once printed in reverse is placed on the metal upside down, and baked in an oven. It has a plastic coating that fuses/melts and becomes a protective layer for the text/artwork.

I just gotta find out if this is gonna be cool with the panel if I get it powder coated.. but as it says up to 200 deg C I think not... hmmm...  (Powder coating get's to 200 deg C for 10 mins apparently)

My other small problem with lazertran is that I'm not sure if my panel fit's in my oven (It might on a diagonal) .. lol.. I'm sure I could find someone with a larger oven, or I could possibly do it at work in an industrial oven.

Will keep you all posted.

Regards

Mike

• 1 month later...

Just following up on this.. Incase anyone is looking at DIY text etc..

Here's some pics of 'letraset' text which is labled under the knobs.. after I did this I sealed it in with a few coats of clear acrylic spray.

The others are from a stick on clear label maker.. both options very cheap... letraset was tricky trying to get it straight etc, as you can see in the pic.

Regards

Mike

5- Closeup of labeling.JPG

5- Closeup of labeling.JPG

Probably a bit too late for advice, but here it goes anyway...  ;)

I have had some reasonably good results with A4 transparent inkjet labels from Office Works, finished with a few coats of clear acrylic varnish.

Because the inks are translucent, the technique only works well if the surface on which the label is stuck is not too dark.

I have had some reasonably good results with A4 transparent inkjet labels from Office Works, finished with a few coats of clear acrylic varnish.

i was going to suggest to print it out on the clear inkjet labels, then just put another plain clear label on top of it for some protection... easy to redo if you make a mistake or wanna change the keyboard layout.

If you want a layer of protection but not to fix it, you just print it in reverse and lay it text-side down :) They can get a bit wrikly that way, but I considered the possibility of stretching it a bit and bolting it down. Not sure if they'll hold up.

I wonder if colour laser transparencies would be sufficiently solid in colour to use on a black panel?... hmm...

One of the handy thigs about transparencies is the ability to backlight them...

stretching it a bit and bolting it down.

Thoughts: 

Slide them under a piece of flat bar at each end and bolt that down.

Document clips

I wonder if colour laser transparencies would be sufficiently solid in colour to use on a black panel?

Suck it and see.  Maybe they'd need overprinting, or those speshul metallic/fluoro inks  8)

backlight

Schaweeeeet :D