Assingable joystick controllor for Sid

Guest peshay

Guest peshay

Hi there, i found this picture of an joystick

elektromeier2.jpg

inside a controller  in the midibox gallery, and i was wandering if i could build a joystick in a Sid synth and use the matrix (no not the one from the movie :P) to assign parameters to it. Of course the matrix would need 2 more options, or mayb i just replace 2 lfo buttons with x axis and y axis. I think its just a case of assinging a parameter to a controller..only in stead of using two knobs u use one joystick. butt the only problem is, i dont know if a joystick is compatible for this.

So could this be done?(easily please  :-[ )  and where can i get such a joystick?

Sorry for my terrible english, hope u understand my question

Yes, certainly this can be done. Just a little MIOS programming. But you really dont need to built up a matrix for 2 pots...

You can also use some more buttons to assign different functions to the two pots. Like the layer function used with the LC clone. Otherwise you would always have to change the changed parameters in the lc_io table.

But I have to say, I´ve got no idea where to get these nice things.  :(

I got a pair of similar joysticks from vintage TV-game. Both of them had potentiometers (I beleive trimmers) with different resistance per different axis. I used them for 4 inputs in MIDIBOX 64 and they work excellent.

You can get joysticks at Farnell, and some other places.  The bad news is that they range from £40 to £105 here in the UK.  Luckily for me I bought an analouge joystick with 100K pots when I was 14 for about £5, which didn't fit it's intended purpose so will be going in my Midi box.

As for alternatives - I have taken apart a non-functioning Radio Control Unit which has two joysticks in.  The pots were the wrong types, but the assemblies are plastic and can take replacement pots.

When considering ripping apart joysticks from games machines and computers, bear in mind that a lot are not analogue (e.g. old Atari, Sinclair Spectrum, most old Commodore) but are digital (i.e. moving the joystick in a certain direction just opens a switch inside).  Digital joysticks will only give you on or off values, analogue ones are the ones you'll need for things like smooth filter sweeps.

Looks like we're at similar stages of MidiBox development and have similar ideas on User Interfaces, Peshay!

Steve.

Guest peshay

When i woke up this morning, i had this bright lil idea..."hey didnt they use joysticks for controlling rc cars and plane's and stuff"  :D but now i find u used it too! So now im off to find a site where they sell these joysticks as spare parts for radio controlled devices.

Guest peshay

ive looked at the ones from farnell and i this is the best one ive seen yet

SWS378

its 36 euro's which i think is a lot of money, but im seriously considering buying one, its just so cool. I also cant seem to find any RC stuff on the net or at home... so mayb im doomed to pay up.

if i do so, which of these 2 options will be the better choice; the self centering one, or the absolute one.

Absolutely the absolute one. You dont want to snap the values back to the middle value as soon as you let the joystick go, do you?

btw: What the heck makes those things so expensive?? I mean its just two pots in an frame and connected to the stick. This sucks. 36 Euros is to much for me (you can have much more other stuff for this money). *sigh*

• 3 weeks later...
Guest peshay

:) almost ready to build my sid, just 1 more question, do you guys think i should make the joystick assignable through the matrix or should i make it a dedicated controller for cutoff and resonance? These are the first that come to mind to assign to the joystick, are there any other usefull interisting things u can come up with?

• 2 years later...

MOS Technology SID

Features

* one multi mode filter featuring (low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, notch-reject) with 12 dB/octave rolloff. The different filter-modes can be combined, for even more timbres.

* three attack/decay/sustain/release (ADSR) volume controls, one for each audio oscillator.

* three ring modulators.

* oscillator sync for each audio oscillator.

* two 8-bit A/D converters (typically used for game control paddles)

* external audio input (for sound mixing with external signal sources)

* random number/modulation generater

paddle

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/paddle+%28game+controller%29

sounds like it might be easy enough to wire in an old atari joystick and port to the sid. ???

hows the progress peshay?

two 8-bit A/D converters (typically used for game control paddles)

You`re speaking of POTX and POTY.

The inputs from POTX and POTY are mapped into the SID's registers.  Since the SID is only written to by the core module (with a serial shift register), the pins aren't usable with the MBSID..

BUT:

The core already has 10Bit ADCs, so why making it complicated by using the SID? Just wire the joystick to J5 of the core.

This has already be done by some people. Search the forum:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=3375.0

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=4317.0

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5708.0

i am quite new to this stuff but my main reason for that little contriburion was to kick start this thread as i would like to see a result .

i have read through the other threads you high lighted raphael

:) almost ready to build my sid, just 1 more question, do you guys think i should make the joystick assignable through the matrix or should i make it a dedicated controller for cutoff and resonance? These are the first that come to mind to assign to the joystick, are there any other usefull interisting things u can come up with?

is there any schemes on creating an assignable joystick to the matrix, this is something i would like to in corporate into my mbsid.