MIDIbox LC design questions

davetucker

Hi,

I have just discovered the fantastic world of MIDIbox and I am looking to start my MIDIbox LC project.

After spending a few days digesting the information available I have started to think about my design.

Essentially I want to keep this fairly similar to the original MCU/LC and but making minor layout changes and adding metering.

I have spec'd so far

10 x Motor Faders (8 x channels + master)

10 x Level Meters (1 per channel and + master)

96 x buttons

64 x LEDs

8 x Encoders w/LED rings + 1 Shuttle/Jog Wheel

So from that list i think i will need the following PCB's and associated components

(for LEDs, Buttons, Encoders, Jog Wheel, LEDring and 8 Faders)

1 x CORE

4 x DOUTx4

4 x DINx4

1 x MF

(for additional Fader, and Level Meters)

1 x CORE

2 x DOUTx4

1 x MF

1) Does this sound right? or am I barking up the wrong tree ???

2) Assuming that I will need a MIDI IN/Out for the second Core also, is it possible to integrate a 2x2 USB/Midi Interface so I would only need 1 x USB connection to my PC?

3) What PIC Header should I use?

Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi and welcome! I am not the biggest expert, but I can answer your basic questions first.

I have spec'd so far

10 x Motor Faders (8 x channels + master)

10 x Level Meters (1 per channel and + master)

Actually I don't understand why you want 10 tracks. The Master track has only one fader (you can't use two of them in some sort of stereo audio way.) Thus, 9 faders and LED meters are recommended. (MB Gurus, correct me if I am wrong.)

96 x buttons

64 x LEDs

8 x Encoders w/LED rings + 1 Shuttle/Jog Wheel

Sounds good!

(for LEDs, Buttons, Encoders, Jog Wheel, LEDring and 8 Faders)

1 x CORE

4 x DOUTx4

4 x DINx4

1 x MF

Sounds good! There is the possibility that you'll need only 3 DOUTx4's here, since you seem not to include a LED digit display (the red numbers on the MCU showing the bar/beat or minute/second stuff).

(for additional Fader, and Level Meters)

1 x CORE

2 x DOUTx4

1 x MF

I am quite sure there is no 9th level meter. You won't need (can't use) the 2 DOUTx4's.

1) Does this sound right? or am I barking up the wrong tree ???

Sounds neat! You seem to have done some 'extreme digesting' of this forum if you say you spend only days here!

2) Assuming that I will need a MIDI IN/Out for the second Core also, is it possible to integrate a 2x2 USB/Midi Interface so I would only need 1 x USB connection to my PC?

I think the two cores will be linked to each other, so you'll need only one MIDI in/out. Apart from that consideration, the USB interface (look for 'GM5') is much more convenient anyway, since you'll use the LC with your computer, and actually not expensive.

3) What PIC Header should I use?

So the first Core (the one with LCD and 8 faders etc. connected) gotta be device ID=0, the other one ID=1 I guess. This is for adressing the two PICs when you upload the application.

I hope that helps you laaa.

MB gurus, please correct anything of the above if there's something unclear! Thanks.

??

The Master track has only one fader (you can't use two of them in some sort of stereo audio way.) Thus, 9 faders and LED meters are recommended. (MB Gurus, correct me if I am wrong.)

... depends on your host software. Sequoia can do it. - There are many hosts, which extend the Mackie protocol to their need.

Greets, Roger

Thanks all,

... depends on your host software. Sequoia can do it. - There are many hosts, which extend the Mackie protocol to their need.

I am going to use this to control Logic so point taken about the 10th Fader!

The initial thoughts around the design were based on the mixer that I use.

Sounds good! There is the possibility that you'll need only 3 DOUTx4's here, since you seem not to include a LED digit display (the red numbers on the MCU showing the bar/beat or minute/second stuff).

With regard to DOUTx4 boards here's how I see the breakdown.

2 x for 64 LED's

1 x for 8 LEDrings around encoders

1 x for LED displays (timecode/bbt display) *Forgot this in first post :-[

1 x for 8 Level Meters

That totals 5. So 4 on Core1 and 1 on Core2 but please feel free to correct any miscalculation

What I would really like is to Have 2 further level meters for L and R of Master channel.

Is this even a possibility or is there a restriction in the Emagic/Logic protocol.

And just to throw something else into the mix. The front-panel design will be based on the Spirit 328 that I used in college

http://www.soundcraft.com/download.asp?filename=images/products/product_sheet/digital_328/digital328_highres.jpg

I might redesign the transport section a bit though and add an unhealthy helping of blue LEDs :P

If/when I start I will try and blog everything and hopefully post a tutorial like the Midibox64 on this forum!

I think it will take me about 18 months  :D

Thanks again.