fake sids from Ebay??

MD

So I bought 6 sid chips (mos 6581's) from ebay (not from the individual who posted 13 for sale in this forum but a different person). As I was inspecting them i noticed that one of the chips has a small indented circle (usually used to denote pin 1) on  it in the bottom left corner in addition to the half circle on the left side. It also says TAIWAN GH1962102 on the under side. As my friend and I looked closer at all of them we noticed that on the under side of the other 5 they all say something like KOREA AH371118 or KOREA AH264708 and my roomate said that actual sids dont have any markings on the under side. I am curious about experienced input please respond ASAP i need opinions....i unfortunately dont have a midibox sid to put them in and test yet because i was buying the chips first and was going to buy a small kit top test them with first.

HELP!! i need to know if these things are fake.

There's tons of fake/broken SIDs around. Search the forum for some examples. Google helps too ;-)

So Wilba doesn't have to do it:

The possibly only and by far easiest way to get a hold of known-to-work and cheap SIDs is to participate in Wilbas Crazy Megal Sales ;)

edit: By "fake" I mean relabeled SIDs not random chips that aren't really SIDs. Relabeled ones seem to have a tendency of having broken filters/oscillators/waveforms.

I don't think there's reason to beleive you've got fakes - there are various versions coming from factories in different countries in slightly different plastic bodies, as far as I know most of them have some kind of country marking on the bottom side.

I'm not sure if there really were any confirmed cases of fake SIDs (fake in the meaning of "any other DIP28 ICs that had a different function but were relabeled as 6581"). Lately, some "renewed" 6581s get sold, I've gotten a few of these myself. But these still are real 6581s. They only were kind of refurbished from the outside, i.e. they look like new old stock but there are some hints they're not original state - e.g. they're a little bit too black with a very bright white printing. But these still are real SIDs and many of them work fine, chances to get working ones are not much different to buying used C64s. Do you have any links to people stating they definitely got fake 6581s?

S

i do have examples of "actual" fakes this guy documented his case very well http://kevtris.org/Projects/sid/remarked_sids.html

The thing is that the ebay seller guy said he pulled all these chips from computers and they dont look all too beat up or desoldered. There are scratches like they may have come out of a socket but only one looks like it actually was desoldered from a board and one looks like it was cut out (short legs). Is there a test i can preform with a multimeter and pinout that would show me unique output for a valid sid?

Is there a test i can preform with a multimeter and pinout that would show me unique output for a valid sid?

No. The only way you can truly test if the SID is working (i.e. all oscillators work and filter works) is to plug it into something that can send it digital signals and let you listen to the audio output, like a Commodore 64, HardSID or MIDIbox SID.

my roomate said that actual sids dont have any markings on the under side.

BTW your roomate is wrong. All SIDs I've seen have markings on the underside, usually with location of manufacture (Philippines, Hong Kong, etc.) and some codes.

i do have examples of "actual" fakes this guy documented his case very well http://kevtris.org/Projects/sid/remarked_sids.html

Well that's what I meant by "refurbished". I wouldn't call them fakes because they're still SIDs, the only lie about them is that they were made to look like new ones and are sold as such, so you might expect most of them are in perfect working condition, which they're not because they're pulls from old C64s.

So with these out on the market, Wilba's SIDs are the only ones you can actually buy and be sure that they'll work. Buying SIDs from other sources who claim they're working is gambling as long as you don't have any means of testing them upon arrival. But even if yours would be this kind of "fake", they might still be perfectly working.

S