Quick & not so quick SID questions

Futureman

Hey all... I've got a few questions about my SID synth.. maybe someone could clarify.

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12413.75.html

a. - Is there an easy way to adjust all 3 of the OSC envelopes at the same time? Often I want to adjust the release etc of all amplitude envelopes at the same time.. am I missing something obvious?

b. - Velocity & Mod wheel are not recognised?

c. - This one is a bit more tricky.. my "Menu" button does nothing... I don't get it.. I tested the button, I tested the diode.. all other buttons work perfectly, (So I assume the matrix is wired correctly) - I'll try re-uploading the MB-6582 software incase something got corrupt.. but this is doing my head in..

Regards

Mike

Ok, I've seen where my menu button fault lies.. on the CS wiring PDF, the menu button is located at the junction of JD5 (D4) and JD8 (D3) but buzzing out the smash pcb, it seems it's at the junction of JD5 (D3!) and JD8 (D3)... I haven't soldered it across, but it's looking promising... phew..

Regards

Mike

Another question - Mine does have more background noise (A hum) when the LED matrix is displaying much more info...  Is this normal?

As mine is a custom matrix with the potential of more cross talk between wires etc, (As opposed to the stock 6582 / 6585  ;) )... does everone elses Wilba 6582 have this sort of problem?

I never experienced this on my old smash / Wilba control surface, but then again, I never wired up the LED's on the matrix...

Regards

Mike

• 1 year later...

Another question - Mine does have more background noise (A hum) when the LED matrix is displaying much more info...  Is this normal?

As mine is a custom matrix with the potential of more cross talk between wires etc, (As opposed to the stock 6582 / 6585  ;) )... does everone elses Wilba 6582 have this sort of problem?

I never experienced this on my old smash / Wilba control surface, but then again, I never wired up the LED's on the matrix...

Regards

Mike

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my midibox sid (modular, not wilba) is doing exactly the same thing. It's really strange; if no leds are lit, there's no hum, and also if all the LEDs in the matrix are lit, the hum disappears, but if even one led is on, I get this constant hum. It's not 50/60 hz as far as I can tell. Depending on the number of leds lit, it sounds like it's varying the pw of the hum too, or at least pushing forward different overtones. It's loudest in the multi engine, and actually the different engines seem to invert the behavior. In the multi engine, I don't hear any hum unless a note is played. In the lead engine, it's the opposite! There is hum only if no oscillators are sounding.

This is really a difficult problem to track down. Mike (or anyone else), did you ever get this fixed/figure out what was going on?

(EDIT to clarify: no leds or all leds doesn't produce hum, but any number in between does. Also, if I hold down one of the row buttons and cause an entire row to blink, there is no hum until I select which led in the row will remain lit using a column button, and then the hum starts. Holding down a column button to produce a blinking column causes hum immediately.)

Edited by jbartee

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my midibox sid (modular, not wilba) is doing exactly the same thing. It's really strange; if no leds are lit, there's no hum, and also if all the LEDs in the matrix are lit, the hum disappears, but if even one led is on, I get this constant hum. It's not 50/60 hz as far as I can tell. Depending on the number of leds lit, it sounds like it's varying the pw of the hum too, or at least pushing forward different overtones. It's loudest in the multi engine, and actually the different engines seem to invert the behavior. In the multi engine, I don't hear any hum unless a note is played. In the lead engine, it's the opposite! There is hum only if no oscillators are sounding.

This is really a difficult problem to track down. Mike (or anyone else), did you ever get this fixed/figure out what was going on?

(EDIT to clarify: no leds or all leds doesn't produce hum, but any number in between does. Also, if I hold down one of the row buttons and cause an entire row to blink, there is no hum until I select which led in the row will remain lit using a column button, and then the hum starts. Holding down a column button to produce a blinking column causes hum immediately.)

Okay. I just spent a couple hours trying to sort this out. The noise seems to be emanating from the sid chips themselves. If you engage all (in my case) six oscillators, the hum completely disappears. if however you have even one oscillator disabled(so that when you play a note, only 5 out of six oscillators sound), the hum is present.

The good news is I found a *kind of* solution. I put one 2200 uf capacitor in line with the power input on each dout board, and this has dropped the hum by about 15-20 db, so it's much better now, and really barely audible (most present on high notes, since lower frequency stuff completely masks it).

This isn't a real solution however as the hum is still present. It's also just confused me more, since it seems the hum is not directly emanating from the power (ie, not a simple ground loop or something similar), but is still somehow directly affected by changes to the power rail. It's like some kind of complex cross talking going on. If anyone wants to chime in, I'd really appreciate it!

EDIT: another possible not-really-solution would be to implement a simple matrix-off mode in the sid application. It could be as simple as a third mode toggled with the M_Mode button. This way we could at least disable the whole thing when fidelity is really important, like making a studio recording for instance. Sadly I lack the assembly language skills to do even a simple mod like this.

I'm really wondering how widespread this issue is. It seems probable that it is somehow linked to the sid's leaky DCA, so someone using an 8580 might not even hear it without *really* listening for it (Mike, were you using a 6581 or an 8580/6582?). Or maybe we just screwed something up. But the issue seems systemic to me, I just can't make sense of its complex behavior.

Edited by jbartee

After working on this some more today I was able to completely eliminate the hum by powering the dout boards from a totally separate 5 volt regulator (in my case, it is now sharing the regulator that supplies the integrated keyboard). What's weird is that it's still running off the same transformer. It's got to be some weird transient decoupling issue or something (<--- don't really know what I'm talking about, but seems more plausible than anything else I can think of). In any case, running the douts off their own regulator with their own filtering caps did the trick. I should point out that I initially simply switched the main 1 amp regulator in my psu with a 1.5 amp regulator, and this had no effect whatsoever, so this wasn't a simple current problem.

Anyway, if anyone turns this thread up in a search and you're having led matrix related noise in your audio, it shouldn't be there and the fix is fairly simple once you know what to do.

Edited by jbartee