Voice Shield

Sasha

Check out this cool shield for arduino... :)

The Voice Shieldâ„¢ (VS) is an analog audio shield for the Arduino that allows you to play audio sound bytes. It could be used in many different Arduino projects, such as; a talking clock, DIY Arduino talking GPS, robots, alarms, motion based sound effects etc ...

It uses a unique, yet very user friendly, way to access different sound bytes so it is easy to build a "talking" device. It can work with words, complete sentences, or sound effects. With the VS your Arduino can also build phrases "on the fly" that sound a little like an automated telephone operator, for example; "you" "entered" "one" "two" "three" "press" "pound" "if" "that" "is" "correct".

More info and videos on Spikenzie`s website: http://www.spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/VoiceShield.html

On a different audio tack, Limor has this Audio Shield

Doesn't the speakjet to MIDIbox allow that kind of thing too? It's a bit closer to home.

I do love playing with voice fragments, from my early days of razor blades and audio tape.

If it's using an ISD chip, it will be quite dirty. not just due to the 8 bits, but also due to the low sample rate. They are quite a fun, good value chip though.

I wonder if this could be used to make some sort of sampler????

You probably could, but really, it is not very hard to get dirty audio out of a micro. Not sure there is any special reason to have interest in this as a platform, unless you really like the sound, the hardware, or the interface, etc.

If you guys are really nuts about the whole sampler thing, I'd be looking for fast serially interfaced S/DRAM and I2S DACs, for core32.... and preparing for a wait ;)

At which point I'd suggest doing what I did, which was to buy an old Akai - I got an S3200 for £80, and managed to acquire the FX boards and the filter card without paying too much, (Thanks for the heads up on 'Millenium', I bought it and it seems great - with my eyesight, the built in screen needs a magnifier). They take standard RAM, and you can connect virtually any old SCSI 50 pin disc that you can get, usually free. There are still SCSI CD ROMS showing up in old workstations too.

I'm more interested in short fragment sample players that will allow mad kinds of percussion, playing of trick sounds and blips, The sort of thing you don't want to tie an entire analogue patch up for. If you want a view of one of the madder gadgets out there Marc Bareille's Quantix 8 can do this sort of stuff, and load more besides.

I'm fond of Arduino because it has a very pro interface, USB driven, and is a bargain basement COTS solution to  a lot of problems. Nothing like as powerful as MIOS for music, and very I/O limited, but enough to get a lot of jobs done, and £22 a board, ready made.