Best advice for placing CS risers AFTER a board has been populated

Filch

I populated my CS pcb (not the LED's yet) b/c I had anticipated participating in the front panel group buy that was going on. Now that it looks unlikely for that to happen any time in the near future, what's the best advice for me to attempt to get the risers correctly attached now that I have most of the board filled in with components?

The guide says to do this BEFORE soldering in components, so I'm worried.

I am assuming you mean the MB-6582 CS PCB...

There should be no problem if you've only soldered the switches, as I typically snap-in nearly all of the switches when I do this stage. You would just need to be careful where you place the clamps so that you're not putting the clamp over a switch.

If you've already soldered rotary encoders, then that also won't affect this stage, although it's leaving even less room to put the clamps... using something between the clamp and the panel (bit of scrap wood, etc) might help put the clamp between encoders.

Soldering the LEDs will be a little bit harder if you have encoders already soldered, because you cannot just lay the panel+PCB top side down on a flat surface so the LEDs will be exactly the same height as the switch shafts. You could easily let the LEDs protrude further (i.e. go through the panel as far as possible) or use tape to stop them protruding past the panel surface (ideal if you are using flat-top LEDs anyway).

Faced with this problem, I would probably go out and get some cheap particle board/MDF/chipboard the size of the panel and using the panel to mark holes where the encoders go, drill those holes at the same size so I could place the panel+PCB top side down and the encoder shafts could go into those holes, allowing the switch shafts to hold the panel above the board and then the LEDs could be soldered at the same height.

And also I bit my tongue not to say: "Best way for placing CS risers AFTER a board has been populated: Time machine" ;) Man one of those things would be handy. Just a 20 second go-back-only one would do. Kinda like real-life edit -> undo :D

And also I bit my tongue not to say: "Best way for placing CS risers AFTER a board has been populated: Time machine" ;) Man one of those things would be handy. Just a 20 second go-back-only one would do. Kinda like real-life edit -> undo :D

I wish I wish I wish.....  *taps heels 3 times*