Trying to understand the MIOS

Well, I'm almost ready to go buy the parts for my MB, I understood much about MBHP already, but I'm with many questions of how the MIOS interact with softwares that accept MIDI messages, the most common on market as Ablenton, FL Studio (This in particular is what I use frequently), Cubase, Nuendo, Reason, etc..

Im doing some questions, as always questions from Newbie and may already have some answers in the forum or on the Internet, but believe me, I use the search function and not yet found any topic that help me. So I'm doing some questions, with real situations where i want to use my MB, any help is welcome:

1) Im using a knob to control a filter of distortion, if I want to stop this knob to control the distortion and start to control a volume of a channel with this knob, how I do that? Simply in my DAW (as in FL studio option "link to controller"), or in MIOS studio settings / MB application configuration?

2) Assuming that I set up my midibox well, Knobs and buttons are controlling exactly what I want, is there any way to save it? Just saving my project in DAW or saving it in a MIOS / PIC / MB aplicattion / Bankstick option?

3) It is always necessary to use the MIOS to use my MB for the DAWS recognize the MB and your MIDI events / messages? If for example, i did a great project in my Daw on my PC and all Knobs and buttons on my MB are meeting my needs, and I take my midibox to play live on another PC, what should I do? Save configuration on PIC, in Bankstick or bring the MIOS studio to the PC at show?

Well, I have other questions about this interaction with MIOS and DAWS software but I dont want to extend the topic. I'm still browsing the forum / ucapps / wiki, but any information is welcome.

Thanks

well you need to think about how MIDI works, what it really is... It's just a way to pass a message, and how it's interpreted is up to the receiver.

If I hold up a sheet of paper with "100" written on it, what does that mean to you? Probably means "why is stryd showing me a number? He's weird." ;)

However, if we have previously agreed that when I hold up a number, you will speak it... then when I hold up this sheet of paper, you will know that it means you should say the words "one hundred".

Of course, if I hold up a sheet of paper with 'ABC' written on it, you will go back to "why is stryd showing me letters? He's weird" - because we agreed that you would speak the *numbers* I showed you.

So, keeping this in mind, I will address your questions:

1) Im using a knob to control a filter of distortion, if I want to stop this knob to control the distortion and start to control a volume of a channel with this knob, how I do that? Simply in my DAW (as in FL studio option "link to controller"), or in MIOS studio settings / MB application configuration?

Either, or maybe both. You can reconfigure your DAW to respond differently to the same message from the midibox, or reconfigure the midibox to send a different message to the DAW... or both.

2) Assuming that I set up my midibox well, Knobs and buttons are controlling exactly what I want, is there any way to save it? Just saving my project in DAW or saving it in a MIOS / PIC / MB aplicattion / Bankstick option?

Either, or maybe both...depending on how you did the above.

If your midibox always sends the same messages, you'd want to save the configuration of the DAW when it's setup to listen to those messages. If your midibox is reconfigured to match the DAW, you'd want to save the midibox configuration. If it's both, both.

3) It is always necessary to use the MIOS to use my MB for the DAWS recognize the MB and your MIDI events / messages? If for example, i did a great project in my Daw on my PC and all Knobs and buttons on my MB are meeting my needs, and I take my midibox to play live on another PC, what should I do? Save configuration on PIC, in Bankstick or bring the MIOS studio to the PC at show?

Either, or maybe both, depending on how you did the above. Say your midibox is setup to send messages that are recognised by the default configuration of fruityloops, then you can take it to any PC running fruityloops, because it will already know how to respond. The flipside: Say fruityloops is configured to respond to your midibox's messages, then you will be able to use that same configuration on any DAW's fruityloops installation, so that it will know what to do when it receives a message from your midibox.

Just while I'm typing: It seems you have some terminology/concept confusion:

MBHP - Hardware

MIOS- Operating system

xxxx - Application (that runs on the MIOS OS)

MIOS Studio - Tool for installing your application onto MBHP hardware running MIOS