SD CARD

Echopraxia

Hello,

This topic has been posted to take care of questions and answers regarding sd cards for core32 use.

My main questions are

1.What type and size of sd card is compatible?

2.What style of female housing is preferred push/push or push/pull?

3.Also what style of female housing regarding standard or reverse type?

4.Any tips on mounting?

5.And I came across a digikey link that had something similar to what TK was using but now I can't remeber where I saw it.

Regards,

Echo

I just ordered some stuff from sparkfun earlier this week.. been wondering about this very thing.  If I understand the situation the SD card spec will read the same for microSD and the other formats (I got a microSD).

The push/push or push/pull just refers to the mechanical action of inserting and removing the card.  I got a push/push cause it seemed fun.

I don't know what the difference between standard/reverse mounting is, but sparkfun sells little breakout boards which probably mean we don't really have to worry about that.

Same as SD on core8....

1) Up to 4G (32bit addressing) if I remember right? I dunno, a lot. If the card's too big, it'll just not all be used. Straight answer: more space than you need to worry about :)

2) push/push is the higher quality type. Either will work.

3) Either.

4) Don't be shy with the solder on the earth pins or the mounting screws.

5) Lots of places have them. Prices range from $5 to $35. Happy bargain hunting!

• 5 months later...

Well I got this one from futurelec

http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_SC.shtml

I can get the leds to light up on it but the seq v4 with core32 connected to j16 does not find it. I have triple checked the wiring and also tried swapping di and do connectors.

Should this matter if its fat32 or nfts?.

It does have jumpers on the board and I have tried a few combinations with them but am not sure what they do.Does anybody know what these do? MOSI, SSEL, MISO and SCK.

I did all of this testing on fat32. Should I try with nfts?

Should I ditch the futurelec board. It looked so cool and simple.

Sucks cause I can't use wilba's seq pcb without the sd card hwcfg file :(

Regards,

echo

• 1 month later...

I have a 2Gb micro SD card with a SD to micro SD adaptor, the one you always get when buying a micro SD card. I just soldered the wires to the adaptor and now I can plug or unplug the micro SD, it works fine.

Thats the tip of the month! :)

I will try this as well (already have a Micro SD Card + adaptor) and document it on the MBHP_SDCARD page.

Best Regards, Thorsten.