Midimon Button Problem

Hi everyone,

I just put together a core module on breadboard (18f452 based) to use it for the Midimon application.

Everything seemed to work fine: I've burned the bootloader to the PIC, then installed MIOS 1.9f and of course the Midimon V 2.0b. MIDI data on the Midi In are diplayed on the LCD. BUT: there is no function with the 4 buttons/switches. They are connected to J5, as shown in the diagram. However, there is no function if I press any of them. What is strange: the pins show nearly 0,0V even if no button is pressed; of course they are pulled up with a 8x10k Resistor array to +5V.

Any ideas?

Manticore

I already did that: on the common pin of the array the 5V are present. 0V at the PIC pins. When I disconnect the resistor array from the pic pins, I measure +5V at the array pins.

I did also try to replace the array with simple resistors; no effect. The array seems to be ok. I also replaced the 18f452 (might have been a damaged RA-port), but also no change in the behaviour.

It seems that the pins are low by the software?! (I loaded the Midibox application from the ucapps site without any modifications).

Very strange....

Manticore

It seems that the pins are low by the software?!

Your description makes it sound that way... but the pins should be set as inputs... I'd be checking for software bugs but it's worked for everyone else so far, so hardware still seems the culprit. Are you able to show pics of your board?

I put the whole d... thing on the flatbed scanner. Some components are hidden underneath the PIC (pull-ups and cap). The display is removed for the foto; it is plugged into the two male 16pin-connectors at the edges. The grey ribbon cable goes to the buttons. Red cables are +, black ones are ground. The yellow one goes to the luminance poti, the orange one connects the opto coupler with the PIC. Grey cables are miscellaneous connections (midi out etc.)

Manticore

5054_front_jpgced77617d724da10e00afbfd91

5056_back2_jpgce928f026931df19fd35856638

5054_front_jpgced77617d724da10e00afbfd91

5056_back2_jpgce928f026931df19fd35856638

I put the whole d... thing on the flatbed scanner.

Well I have to say, that's a really effective way to get nice high-res shots of your pcb! Unfortunately I'm still not sure what's going wrong, but I'll try to help :)

Some components are hidden underneath the PIC (pull-ups and cap).

Err, darn... that r-net is what I was hoping to look at... How is it connected? I don't see any adjacent connections on the PCB under where the grey wires are, so I guess it's soldered direct to the PIC socket? Whichever way, this test:

When I disconnect the resistor array from the pic pins, I measure +5V at the array pins.

Should be viewed as having suspect results because there is certainly more than one change involved between tests (remove pic, desolder 4 joints, replace pic: that's 6 changes). Maybe no big deal, but worth noting...

I notice you were a bit liberal with the solder... Even at such high res and zoomed into 200% I was not completely sure that the button joints didn't short each other. I didn't really look at the rest of the board but it's definitely a haven for shorts, what with the veroboard and unshielded wires and extra solder combined.. It might be worth using some braid or something to take some of that solder out of the equation....

I'm not sure...  :(

Hmmm...

I built a complete Midibox SID that way (at least the control section). By the way, I tested all connections and even possible intersections.

The r-net is next to the PIC socket. When you look at the soldering side, pin 1 of the PIC is bottom left. R-Net pins are directly connected to the appropriate pic pins (2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10).

In the mean time I tried something else: I put the pic in one of the pcbs of the SIDBox. To make it short: same behaviour even there! RA pins are 0Volt!

Next thing I will check is a third PIC - it MUST be a hardware defect!